Department of Botany
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Department of Botany at GGDSD College was established in 1979 with the introduction of Prep and Pre-Medical Classes. It was elevated to UG Course in 1984. Add-on Course in Environmental Auditing was introduced in 2002 under career oriented scheme of UGC, which successfully continued till 2015. Presently Semester system is being followed, which was introduced from the session 2014-15 by Panjab University, Chandigarh. Faculty of the department is also involved in teaching of B. Voc(Agri-Business and Agrarian Entrepreneurship) since the session 2015-16.
Courses Offered by The Department
For the Undergraduate Degree Course in B.Sc (General) with Botany as one of the electives, the students can choose from a wide range of combinations offered by PanjabUniversity, Chandigarh.
- Botany, Chemistry, Zoology
- Botany, Chemistry, Biochemistry
- Botany, Chemistry, Biotechnology
- Botany, Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry
- Botany, Chemistry, Industrial Microbiology
(Admission criteria : Merit basis – Aggregate of only science subjects taken)
B.Voc. (AGRI-BUSINESS AND AGRARIAN ENTREPRENEURSHIP)
1. Feed & Water management (Sem I) Fodder & Forage management (Sem II)
2. Feed & Water management (Sem I) Fodder & Forage management (Sem II)
|Name & Email||No. of Publications with ISSN number||No. of Books with ISBN number||
Orientation courses /FDP attended
|Area of Specialization|
Dr. Jasveen Dua
|Env. Toxicology & Plant Tissue Culture|
Dr. Supriya Vaid
|14||02 Chapters||08||29||06||1 FDP||Eco-Physiology|
Dr. Priyanka Mahajan
|3||—||21||12||4||—||Plant Tissue Culture|
Ms. Yamini Sood
Ms. Anju Devi
List of Ongoing/Completed Research Projects By the Faculty
|Name of the PI/ Co-PI||Title of the Project||Duration||Funding Agency|
|Dr. Jasveen Dua||“Screening and characterization of Poly-hydroxyalkanoate (PHA) producing bacteria from diverse habitats in Chandigarh”s||1 yr.||DST, Chd. (2012)|
|Dr. Jasveen Dua||“Environment Awareness campaign, NEAC”||1 yr||MoEF, New Delhi(2007)|
|Dr. Jasveen Dua||“Tissue culture and biochemical studies in different species of Chlorophytum borivillianum”||2 yrs||UGC(2006)|
|Dr. Jasveen Dua||“Isolation, screening and production of mannanase from bacterial isolates for biotechnology application”||2 yrs||UGC(2008)|
|Dr. Jasveen Dua||“Microbial and biochemical studies of different Waters including sewage water( containing Industrial Effluent) in and around Chandigarh with the Focus on Plant Growth”||1 yr||DST, Chandigarh(2005)|
|Dr. Aruna Saini||Eco- Physiological Studies on dominant trees of Sector 32, Chd including Inventorisation, Growth Parameters, Physiological Studies of Trees, Biochemical Estimations, Phenological Studies and Soil Dynamics”.||02 years||UGC (2006)|
- Well equipped Spacious Botany Labs – 2
Herbarium and Eco-Museum – 2
- Museum displays rare exhibits of specimens, fossils, Models, Medicinal Plants. Economic Botany wing is very rich with unique collection. Fossils of different ages are displayed beautifully. Origin of life is shown with the help of Models. Collection of exhibits by students is a special attraction. Recently, permanent herbarium has been added in the Museum.
- HoD Room – 1
- Store -1
- Well established Botanical Garden.
- Beautiful Green House rich in ornamental Plants.
- Departmental Library.
|Dissolved Oxygen Apparatus|
(Compound, Dissecting, Stereomicroscope)
|Soil analysis kit|
|Carbon Dioxide Generator|
|Microscopes (Trinocular, Binocular,)|
|Plant tissue culture chamber|
|Water Purification System|
|Water bath shaker|
Activities in Dept. of Botany ( 2010-15 )
- Essay Writing Competition to mark ‘World Water Day’ on 20th, March, 2014
Intra-college activities were organized on 7th Nov., 2014 :
Slogan Writing Competition
- Declamation Contest on 6th January2014 based on theme of Environment awareness
- Celebration of Tree Plantation Drive on August 15, 2013 to mark Independence Day
- Slogan Writing and Best out of Waste Competition on 13th Nov, 2013
- Conservation of Forests
SEMINAR AND WORKSHOPS ORGANIZED BY DEPARTMENT
One day Seminar on “Emerging Trends in Plant Sciences”.
Prof. Daizy R. Batish
Botany Department, Panjab University, Chandigarh
|Biodiversity: Concept, Status & Conservation|
Dr. Priyanka Sharma
Institute of Nanotechnology, Mohali
|Nanotechnology: Perspective for Food Safety, Health and Environment|
Workshops Conducted by the Department
- One Day Workshop on “Collection and Preservation of Permanent Herbarium “on Nov 28, 2013 by Sh Gurdev Singh from Botany Department, Panjab University, Chandigarh
- One Day workshop on “Technique of Microtomy “on 8th Feb, 2014 by Sh Sham sunder, Senior Technician, Panjab University , Chandigarh
- One Day work shop on “Bio-fertilizers and their role in Sustainable Agriculture” on 29th Nov., 2014 byProf. Neera Garg, Department of Botany, Panjab University, Chandigarh
Educational Tours /Excursions Organised by Department
- Educational Visit to Agrodutch Mushroom Cultivation and Export Industry (30th Jan 2014)
- Educational Visit to P.N. Mehra Botanical Garden, Sector -14, Panjab University, Cactus House and Green House to study diversity of Flora on January 30, 2014
- Visit to Verka Milk Plant, Mohali on 27th Nov., 2014 – To study:
- Educational Visit to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar on 3rd Sept., 2014
- Visit to AgroDutch Mushroom Cultivation and Export Industry, Near Lalru, Rajpura on 30th Jan 2014
- Educational Visit to FRI , Dehradun (November 22, 2013)
DEPARTMENTAL ACTIVITIES( 2016-17 )
- Prof. Daizy Batish from Botany Department, Panjab University delivered an informative talk on ‘Biodiversity and its sustainability’ to the students. and stressed the need to reduce their misuse.
- Field activity on 24thAugust , 2016 – to study plant biodiversity growing on college campus ‘SwachhtaPakhwada’ ( 1st Sept. to 15th Sept.,2016) as a directive of UGC
- Best out of waste (converting waste materials into useful artifacts) on 20thSeptemer, 2016.
- Demonstrative activity on recycling waste was organized in the department on 10th September, 2016.
- Science students celebrated Teacher’s day on 5th September. The teachers were overwhelmed by this unusual gesture.
Intra-College Competitions as a part of National Environment Awaareness Campaign (NEAC) on 5th Nov., 2016
Poster making Competition
Essay Writing Competition