Department of Biochemistry
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The biochemistry is the basic language of all biological, sciences and is inevitable part of all life science disciplines and modern biology like system and synthetic biology. The sequencing of human genome will provide a unique opportunity for biochemistry at the cutting edge of genomics, proteomics, post-genomics, interdisciplinary research and bioinformatics. So, the major emphasize of biochemistry is to understanding the basic clues of biological systems for better understandings. The interdisciplinary approach will help tremendously to medical science and nutritional sciences (relationship between the nutrients and the human health.
Since its inception in 2004, the Department provides advanced infrastructural facilities for both quality research & teaching. It offers courses for B.Sc and M.Sc. in the form of various medical and non-medical combinations which is inspired by “Meta-concept of University Education” which will be introduced by Human Resource Development Ministry in India in the near future. The main purpose is that, future students can be groomed for multidisciplinary “New Biology”. The students of Biochemistry department have qualified various competitive exams conducted at national and international level and perused advanced studies and research activities in National and International research institutes of repute.
Biochemistry department offered them various theory, practical classes and research projects. Many students of the Department have been able to compete successfully in the national level tests like CSIR-UGC NET, ICMR-JRF, PGIMER Entrance and Combined Test for M.Sc Biotechnology courses conducted by JNU Delhi, CET (Punjab University Chandigarh) and GATE (IIT). The department has well qualified faculties and having doctoral degrees in their corresponding subjects with specialization in the various fields of Biochemistry and Biotechnology. The faculty are well versed and abreast with the modern knowledge of the subjects and latest developments in the field of Biochemistry.
Department offers courses in form of various combinations in BSc, which is for Three years duration
- Biochemistry, Botany and Zoology
- Biochemistry, Chemistry and Botany
- Biochemistry, Chemistry and Zoology
- Biochemistry, Chemistry and physics
- Biochemistry , Chemistry and Mathematics
- Biochemistry, Physics and Mathematics
- Biochemistry, Physics and statistics
|Courses Offered||Duration||Seats||Academic Qualification||Mode of admission|
|Bachelor of Science||3 year(semester system)||40||The candidate should have passed 10+2 system of examination with Medical or Non Medical background with at least 50% marks||Merit Based|
|Diploma in Medical Lab Technology (UGC Community College)||1 year(semester system||50||Passed 10+ 2 in any stream with 50% Marks||Merit Based|
The teachers are well versed and abreast with the modern knowledge of the subjects and latest developments in the fields of biochemistry.
|Name & Email||No. of Publications with ISSN number||No. of Books with ISBN number||Oral/ poster present- ation||Conferences/ seminar attended||Workshop attended||Refresher/ Orientation courses /FDP attended||Area of Specialization|
|Dr. Akhlash P Singh
|24||6||02||18||05||08||Genomics and Proteomics|
|Dr. Nidhi Mittal
List of Ongoing/Completed Research Projects By the Faculty
|Name of the PI/ Co-PI||Title of the Project||Duration||Funding Agency|
|Dr. Akhlash P Singh||A proteomic, physiological and biochemical based study of early expressed low abundant proteins and antioxidant defense system during water stress in wheat leaf||03 year||UGC- New Delhi|
|Dr. Akhlash P Singh||Proteomics and biochemical study of guava fruit ripening||02 years||DST|
|Dr. Akhlash P Singh||Study of biochemical and cooking properties of rice genotypes in northern India||02 years||UGC- New Delhi|
|Dr. Nidhi Mittal||To explore the potential of Endomyocopsis capsularis for industrial applications||03 year||UGC- New Delhi|
- Labs: 02 (31’.3” x 26’)
- Real Time PCR (Invitrogen)
- 2D-Gel electrophoresis( GE )
- Ekta prime protein purification systems(GE)
- Agarose gel electrophoresis(GE)
- Spectrophotometer(Shimadsu) and GE
- Flame photometer
- Mini protean(Bio-Rad)
- De-freezer (-20) 2
- Electronic Balance(2)
- Centrifuges(Eppendroff and Sigma)
- Table Centrifuge
- Power supply (2)
- Mini protean Ruby (GE)
- Chemical and consumable (Sigma, Bio-Rad and Merck)
- Photo colorimeter -1
Departmental activitiesThe departments organize the three annual features every year
- Workshop on 2D gel electrophoresis
- Workshop on chromatographic methods
- Real-time PCR
- Special lectures in the field of Biochemistry
- DEPARTMENT OF Biochemistry Organized a Webinar On “MiRNA: mining, characterization and regulatory role during plant’s life cycle S ATURDAY 25 TH September 2021 TIME – 3:00 P M, the resource person was Dr. Om Prakash Gupta Senior Scientist (Biochemistry) ICAR-Indian Institute of Wheat and Barley Research Karnal.
- The Department of Biochemistry of GGDSD College, Chandigarh has organized an educational visit to various labs, Including Merck lab which are working in various areas of molecular biology and immunology at IMTECH Chandigarh, a CSIR Lab of the Indian government on 23April 2022.
- Department of Biochemistry organized webinar “SARS covid2: origin, pathogenesis, and management strategies the resource person was Dr. Binod Kumar from a Dept. of microbiology and immunology, Loyola University Chicago the USA
- Department organized a counselling and Mentoring Session for BSc students that included how to prepare for their career on June 5 • 3:00 – 4:00pm. Speakers were Rashi Mahalotra (Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia, Canada) and another speaker was Payal Gulani (University of Saskatchewan. Canada) both were alumni of department of biochemistry.
- Department of biochemistry organized special lecture on “The world of Microorganisms” on 19.2.2020 at 11: 30 AM delivered by Dr. Ranjana Bhatia UIET, Panjab University Chandigarh
- Department of biochemistry in collaboration with department of Bioinformatics Week Long Faculty-cum-Student Skill Development Programme on “BiologicalData Analysis and Data Science organized on 29 Feb to 5 March under the aegis of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA),Director Higher Education, Chandigarh Administration. Padma Shri Prof. R.N.K. Bamezai,Former Director National Centre of Applied Human Genetics, School of Life Sciences, JNU,New Delhi and Former Vice-Chancellor Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra Jammu.
- The Department of Biochemistry has organized the lecture series on “Application of enzyme industries” on 28 March 2018. The lectures were delivered by experts by Dr U C Bannerji HOD, Dept. of Pharmaceuticals Biotechnology NIPER Mohali
- The Department of Biochemistry has organized the lecture and demonstration on “Protein purification and biomarkers for fatal diseases by using proteomics” on 8th august 2018 for Teachers of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, Regional Office, Chandigarh.
- Department of Biochemistry organized the lecture on “Environmental techniques for cleaner environment” on 17 Feb 2018 at 12.00 to 1.00 AM, delivered by DR Jaspreet Kaur, UIET PU Chandigarh.
- Department of Biochemistry has organized the lecture on “Advances in enzyme kinetics” on 28 Feb 2018 at 9.00 to 11.00 AM. This lecture series covered “application of enzyme in industries”. The lectures were delivered by experts by Dr U C Bannerji HOD, Dept. of Pharmaceuticals Biotechnology NIPER Mohali,
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on Biochemistry of Neuron by Mr., Vikas Garg from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
- Departmental education visit to “Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB), an autonomous institute of the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India.
- An Educational Trip was organized to Central Research Institute, Kasauli for the students on 20 February 2016.
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Real Time PCR Technique in biological system” on February 6-8, 2015.
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Next Generation Sequence Data Analysis and Structural Bioinformatics” Feb. 18-22, 2015
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Introduction to Enzymes” by Dr. U. C. Banerjee, Prof. and Head, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology from National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Sector 67, SAS Nagar-160 062, Punjab (INDIA)
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Introduction to Enzymes kinetics” by Dr. U. C. Banerjee, Prof. and Head, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology from National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Sector 67, SAS Nagar-160 062, Punjab (INDIA)
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Enzyme inhibitors and immobilizations” by Dr. U. C. Banerjee, Prof. and Head Department of Pharmaceutical Technology from National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Sector 67, SAS Nagar-160 062, Punjab (INDIA)
- Educational Visit to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar on 3rd Sept., 2014
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored” Science Fest Biorhythm 2014 – The New Dimension Feb. 11th, 2014
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Protein purification by different 2D Electrophoresis Technique February 04-05, 2014
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Application of RT PCR in Plant Sciences” February 13-14, 2014
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Protein purification by different Chromatographic methods” February 26th, 2014
- Educational Visit to FRI, Dehradun (November 22, 2013)
- Educational Visit to P.N. Mehra Botanical Garden, Sector -14, Panjab University, Cactus House and Green House to study diversity of Flora on January 30, 2014
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored Workshop on Protein purification by different chromatographic methods 8th February, 2013
- DBT, NewDBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on 2D Gel Electrophoresis” 4th March, 2013
- DBT, New Delhi spons Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Application of Real Time PCR” on 21-22nd February, 2013
- ored, Special lecture delivered on “Application of RT-PCR in Plant sciences” by Dr. Dr. Sudesh Kumar from IHBT (CSIR) Palampur H.P
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Proteomics for systems biology” by Dr. Somdutt from IHBT (CSIR) Palampur H.P
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Protein Purification by Chromatography Methods” 13th February, 2012.
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Recombinant technology and its applications” by Dr. Jaspreet Kaur from UIET, Punjab University, ChandigarhNewDBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on 2D Gel Electrophoresis” 4th March, 2013
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Microorganism” life at micro level” by Dr. Ranjana Bhatia from UIET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Industrial visit to DSM, Ropar by B.Sc. 3rd year industrial chemistry students, on 15-02-2012
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “National Symposium on Biotechnology: Innovation and Challenges” on Feb. 6th, 2010
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Gel Electrophoresis” on 8th March, 2010
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored “Workshop on Application of one and two gel electrophoresis and western blot in detection of proteins in biological sample
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “A journey from biochemistry to bioinformatics” by Dr. Sujit Pujari from Department of Virology, PGIMER Chandigarh,
- DBT, New Delhi sponsored, Special lecture delivered on “Genetic engineering and its application” by Dr. Priya from Department of experimental Medicine and biotechnology PGIMER, Chandigarh
Following senior Visiting Fellows, adjunct faculty, emeritus professors visit department [2011-2016]
- Dr. Sujit Pujari, Department of Virology, PGIMER , Chandigarh
- Ms. Priya, Department of experiment Medicine and biotechnology PGI MER, Chandigarh
- Dr. Ashutosh, Department of experiment Medicine and biotechnology PGI MER, Chandigarh
- Dr. Jaspreet Kaur, UIET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Dr. Ranjana Bhatia, UIET, Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Dr. Sudesh Kumar, Scientist E, IHBT (CSIR) Palampur H.P
- Dr. Javed Naveed, GE healthcare, Bangalore
- Dr. Saillesh Bajpai, GE healthcare, Bangalore
- Dr. Somdutt, Scientist E, IHBT (CSIR) Palampur H.P
- Dr. Umesh Sharma, Invitrogen ABI solution, Gurgaon
- Dr. UC Banerjee, Professor, NIPER, Mohali
- Mr. Karan Sharma, GE Wipro Health Care , Bangalore, India
- Dr. Naidu Subbarao, Professor, School of Computational & Integrative Studies, JNU, New Delhi
- Dr. Shashi Rawat, Senior Scientist & in charge, Central Potato Research Institute (CPRI), Shimla
- Dr. Aman Kumar, scientist, Dept. of Animal Biotechnology, LalaLajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Hisar
- Dr. Raja Sudhakar, School of Computational & Integrative Studies, JNU, New Delhi
- Mr. Bharat Yadav, Assistant Professor, School of Agriculture Biotechnology, PAU, Ludhiana
- Dr. Prabhu B. Patil (Scientist) Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh