Department of Botany
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- Department of Botany at GGDSD College was established in 1979 with the introduction
of Prep and Pre-Medical Classes
- It was elevated to UG Course in 1984
- Add-on Course in Environmental Auditing was introduced in 2002 under career oriented
scheme of UGC, which successfully continued till 2015
- Presently Semester system is being followed, which was introduced from the session
2014-15 by Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Faculty of the department is also involved in teaching of B. Voc (Agri-Business and
Agrarian Entrepreneurship) since the session 2015-16
- The faculty is highly qualified and actively engaged in academics as well as research in
diverse fields of Botany
- The Department has a vision to become a center for excellence in academics and research
so as to generate well trained man power
- It aims to utilize Botany for the benefit of mankind and follow multi-disciplinary research
- The Department is actively engaged in imparting Environment awareness through
“Haritima” – Environment Society of the College
- The environment Society was set up in 2003 and is run successfully by Botany
- The society has been enrolled with Chandigarh Administration as a member under the
scheme “Institutional support and Public participation”.
- In Collaboration with Botany Department, Various programmes and activities are
organized ever year.
Courses Offered by the Department
For the Undergraduate Degree Course in B.Sc (General) with Botany as one of the
electives, the students can choose from a wide range of combinations offered by Panjab
Combinations run in the college include:
- Botany, Chemistry, Zoology
- Botany, Chemistry, Biochemistry
- Botany, Chemistry, Biotechnology
- Botany, Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry
- Botany, Chemistry, Industrial Microbiology
(Admission criteria: Centralized admissions on Merit basis)
The departmental faculty is also involved in teaching various subjects in Skill-based
|Name & Email
||No. of Publications with ISSN number
||No. of Books with ISBN number
||Oral/ poster presentation
||Conferences/ seminar attended
Orientation courses /FDP attended
||Area of Specialization
|Dr. Jasveen Dua
||Plant Tissue Culture and Environmental Eco-Toxicology
|Dr. Supriya Vaid
||FDP – 3
||Angiosperm and Plant Tissue Culture
|Dr. Shivani Saini
||Plant Physiology and Plant Biotechnology
|Dr. Anu Sharma
||FDP – 1
||Eco-physiology and Environmental Science
LIST OF ONGOING/COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECTS BY THE FACULTY
|Name of the PI/ Co-PI
||Title of the Project
||Date of Completion
|Dr. Jasveen Dua
||“Physico-Chemical Characterization of effluents and Toxicity study of Lead as a pollutant in samples collected from different industries in and around Chandigarh. (On-going)
|Dr.SupriyaVaid (PI)& Dr. Anu Sharma (Co-PI)
||Evaluation of anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant properties & identification of the phenolic and Flavonoid Compounds of some selected underutilized plants present in Chandigarh
||Panjab University Alumini Association Fund
|Dr. JasveenDua (Co-PI)
||Use of Foldscope as a Educational and Training tool
||DBT, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India with joint collaborator University of Stanford, USA
AWARDS RECEIVED BY FACULTY
Dr. Supriya Vaid received Environment Society Award 2019 by Department of Environment, Chandigarh Administration and held at Elante Mall, Chandigarh on 5th June, 2019.
- Awarded with IASc-INSA-NASI Summer Research Fellowship in 2018.
- 1 stIst prize for poster presentation in National Conference cum Workshop on “Current Trends in Conservation, Sustainable Development, and Biological and Social Benefits of Medicinally and Floriculturally Significant Orchids” at Regional Agricultural Research Station, Kerala Agricultural University, Ambalavayal, Wayanad, Kerala on March 16-18, 2018.
- 2 nd prize for poster presentation in National Conference cum Workshop on “Recent Trends in Biology, Culture, Conservation, Commercialization, and Sustainable Utilization of Medicinally and Floriculturally Important Orchids” at Graphic Era University (GEU), Dehradun (Uttarakhand) on March 24-26, 2017
li>2 nd Prize for poster presentation in Conference on “Advances in Orchid Biology with Focus on Climate Change, Medicinal and Floricultural Plants, & Sustainable Economic Utilization” at Dr. YSR Horticultural University, Venkataramannagudem, Andhra Pradesh (2016)
- Well equipped Spacious Botany Labs – 2
- Herbarium and Eco-Museum – 2
- Museum displays rare exhibits of specimens, fossils, Models, Medicinal Plants. Economic Botany wing is very rich with unique collection. Fossils of different ages are displayed beautifully. Origin of life is shown with the help of Models. Collection of exhibits by students is a special attraction. Recently, permanent herbarium has been added in the Museum.
- HOD Room – 1
- Store -1
- Well established Botanical Garden.
- Beautiful Green House rich in ornamental Plants.
- Departmental Library.
- BOD Incubator
- Centrifuge machine
- Dissolved Oxygen Apparatus
- Environmental chamber
- Flame photometer
- Kjeldhal Apparatus
- Microscopes(Compound, Dissecting, Stereomicroscope)
- pH meter
- Soil analysis kit
- Conductivity Meter
- Carbon Dioxide Generator
- Distillation Apparatus
- Electrical Balance
- Fume hood
- Microscopes (Trinocular, Binocular,)
- Muffle Furnace
- Phototropic chamber
- Plant tissue culture chamber
- Seed germinator
- Shaker VDRL
- Water bath
- Water Purification System
- Water bath shaker
- College Environment Society ‘HARITIMA’ celebrated Bird day on 5th January, 2021 and activities like bird feeder or bird house installation pictures and videos are invited through online mode.
- Department of Botany, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh organized Webinar on Conservation and Restoration Ecology, Series-2 by Prof. PromilaPathak (Dept. of Botany Panjab University, Chandigarh) entitled “In vitro propagation, Conservation and restoration ecology in particular reference to Orchids” on 21st December, 2020
- Department of Botany, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh organized Webinar on Conservation and Restoration Ecology, Series-1 by Dr.Isha Sharma (Agribiotech Foundation PJTS Agricultural University, Hyderabad) entitled “Impact of biotechnology advances in crop improvement” on 16th December, 2020
- College Environment Society ‘HARITIMA’ organized various events on the theme ‘HARIT DIWALI’ on the eve of Diwali to create awareness on Safe & Pollution-free Diwali from 11-13 November, 2020 Events like Eco- Rangoli Making, Diya Painting, Jan Sandesh on Safe & pollution-free Diwali were conducted.
- One-day workshop on ‘Exploring Nature and Herbarium Preparation’ by Mr. Gurdev (Dept. of Botany, PU Chandigarh) on 24th January, 2020.
- Expert Talk on Herbal Biotechnology by Prof. P.K. Pati (Head, Dept. of Biotechnology, GNDU Amritsar) on 15th February, 2020.
- Festival of Spring – 2020 organized on 5th February, 2020 and activities like Toran making, Dry flower arrangement and Pot making were conducted.
- Educational Trip to Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary and Nepli Forests on 31st January, 2020.
- College Environment Society ‘Haritima’ organized a bird walk to celebrate world wetland day on 31st january, 2020.
- Competitions organized on world wetland day by college Environment Society ‘Haritima’ like Poster making and Collage making (using insect wings and bird feathers) on 2nd February 2020.
- Van Mahotsava celebrations held at GGDSD college on 8th august, 2019.
- Swachh Bharat Swastha Bharat Campaign conducted by Haritima – the Environment Society on 21st september, 2019.
- ‘Harit Diwali’ celebrations on 22nd -23rdoctober, 2019 and activities like calligraphy, rangoli and ppt on green and safe Diwali were conducted.
- Van Mahotsava on 18 th August, 2017
- Cleanliness drive–‘Swacchta hi Sewa’ was initiated by members of College
Environmental Society on 26 th September, 2017
- Harit Diwali celebration was held on 14 th October 2017 and activities like poster making,
slogan writing and Diya painting were conducted
- Workshop on “Plant Tissue Culture” by Prof. Promila Pathak (Botany Department,
Panjab University, Chandigarh)
- Field activity on 24 th August, 2016 – To study plant biodiversity growing on college
- ‘Swachhta Pakhwada’ – 1 st September to 15 th September, 2016
- Teacher’s day celebrations on 5 th September, 2016
- Demonstrative activity on recycling waste on 10 th September, 2016
- “Save Nature for Future-A Green Hope” on 26 th September, 2015
- Visit to Herbarium, Green House, Cactus House, Botanical garden on 15 th November,
- Educational Visit to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar on 3 rd September, 2014
- Van Mahotsava on 30 th September, 2014
- Van Mahotsava on 30 th September, 2014
- Visit to Verka Milk Plant, Mohali on 27 th November, 2014
- Workshop on “Bio-fertilizers and their role in Sustainable Agriculture” on 29 th
November, 2014 by Prof. Neera Garg (Department of Botany, Panjab University,
- Essay Writing Competition on 16 th February, 2015
- Van – Mahotsava on August 15, 2013
- Slogan Writing and Best out of Waste on 13 th November, 2013
- Educational Visit to FRI, Dehradun on 22 nd November, 2013
- Workshopon “Collection and Preservation of Permanent Herbarium” on 28 th
November, 2013 by Sh. Gurdev Singh (Botany Department, Panjab University,
- Visit to Agrodutch Mushroom Cultivation and Export Industry, P.N. Mehra Botanical
Garden, Panjab University, Cactus House and Green House on January 30, 2014
- Workshop on “Technique of Microtomy” on 8 th February, 2014 by Sh. Sham sunder,
Senior Technician, Panjab University, Chandigarh
- One day Seminar on “Emerging Trends in Plant Sciences” on 8 th February, 2014
- Essay Writing Competition on 20 th March, 2014
- Best out of waste on 20 th Septemer, 2016
- Lecture on “Emerging Trends in Nano-sensing Technologies in Crop Protection” on 5 th –
6 th October, 2012
- National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal and Kalpana Chawla Planetorium,
Kurukshatra on 7 th November, 2012
- Lecture on Perspectives in Environmental Nanotechnology on 22 nd November, 2012
- Workshop on “Electron Microscopy & Microtomy” by Sh. M. L Sharma (Sophisticated
Analytical Instrumentation Laboratory, Panjab University, Chandigarh) on 7 th February, 2011
- Visit to Pushpa Gujaral Science City, Kapurthala on 5 th November, 2011
- Lecture on Genetically Modified Crops on 14 th January, 2012
- Invited Lecture by Prof. Daizy Batish from Botany Department, Panjab University on
‘Biodiversity and its sustainability’ on 22 nd September, 2016
- Intra-College Competitions as a part of National Environment Awareness Campaign
(NEAC) on 5 th November, 2016
- Poster making Competition
- Essay Writing Competition
- Visit to Sarangpur Botanical Garden on 9 th January, 2017
- Tree Plantation Drive on 10 th January, 2017