Department of Journalism
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The department of Journalism & Mass Communication was started in the year 2004-05. Since its inception the department is growing continuously adding new dimensions and setting higher standards in media education. The program provides students with the analytical, methodological and practical competencies necessary for pursuing journalism as a career. Students are given live assignments so that they acquire technical and professional skills in our state of the art studios.
- The Department started Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication in the year 2004-05.
- The Departement started career oriented Add-On Journalism Course in the year 2006-07.
- Our college is the first and only one in Chandigarh to start with journalism as elective subject at a undergraduate level. Journalism as an Elective subject was introduced in the year 2008-09.
- Career oriented Add-On Video Reporting course was started in the year 2009-10.
|Courses Offered||Duration||Seats||Academic Qualification||Mode of admission|
|PG Diploma in Mass Communication||1 years||30||Graduation in any Stream||Merit Basis|
|Elective Journalism||3 years||60||10+2 Any Stream||Merit Basis|
|Add-On Journalsim||3 years||50||10+2 Any Stream||Merit Basis|
|Add-On Video Reporting||3 years||50||10+2 Any Stream||Merit Basis|
|Name & Email||No. of Publications with ISSN number||No. of published newspaper articles||Oral/ poster present- ation||Conferences/ seminar attended||Workshop attended||Refresher/ Orientation courses /FDP attended||Area of Specialization|
|Dr. Priya Khanna Chadha email@example.com||6||16||1||11||11||1 OC 1 RC 3 FDP||Print and Electronic Media, Health Communication, Advertising and Public Relations|
|Ms. Divya Jyoti Randev firstname.lastname@example.org||5||19||—||2||2||—||Print Media, Advertising and Public Relations|
CLASSROOMS / LABS / STUDIOS
- The department strives to impart practical and theoretical knowledge to the students of Journalism and Mass Communication by creating a befitting environment of the live media world. The media lab is well equipped with sophisticated infrastructure and modern facilities
- Smart classroom/Lab with LCD Projector and white board – 1
- Lab with white board – 1
- Audio- Video Studio (for recording and editing) – 1
- Studio for rehearsal/research – 1
COMPUTERS & SOFTWARES
- Windows PCs
- Quark Express Software
- Final Cut Pro
- LCD Projectors with Screens
EQUIPMENTS FOR RADIO & TV PRODUCTION
- Sony Video Camera PD-170
- Sony Tripod
- Sony Battery Charger
- Sony Batteries For PD-170
- Flood Lights
- Camera Associated Audio Cables
- AV Wire (5m)
- Audio Mixer
- Column Speakers
- Broadcast Microphones
- Lapel Microphones
- Audio Mixer Wires
- USB to AUX wire
- Refractor umbrellas
OUR DOCUMENTARIESStudents of the department have Directed and Produced 8 documentaries
- SISKIYAN: (On Cancer Belt of Malwa region of Punjab): Won First Prize in SOCH-2009 Media Fest organized by the School of Communication Studies, Panjab University Chandigarh. Won First Prize in film festival organized by ‘Punjab Virasat Foundation’ in 2009. It was screened at 1st Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF), in January 2010. It was selected amongst 30 films out of total 150 entries from 8 Countries. It has won 3rd prize in 4th Haryana Film Festival and Film Appreciation Course, organized by DAV College for Girls, Yamunanagar.
- PROMISES / VICCHORA (On Honour Killing):It was nominated at 3rd Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF), in January 2012. It was selected amongst 144 films out of total 917 entries from 67 Countries. Won First Prize in SOCH-2011 Media Fest organized by the School of Communication Studies, Panjab University Chandigarh.
- MRIG TRISHNA: (On Maqboolpura locality (known as village of widows) of Amritsar :Won First Prize in SOCH-2012 Media Fest organized by the School of Communication Studies, Panjab University Chandigarh. It was nominated at 3rd Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF), in January 2012. It was selected amongst 144 films out of total 917 entries from 67 Countries. Adjudged Best Documentary in Indian Cine Film Festival Mumbai-2014
- ANKAHI ANSUNI (On Lives of Marriage Band Players) :Adjudged Best Documentary in 3rd Bangalore Short Film Festival held at Bangalore. It was nominated at 7th Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF), in January 2015. It was selected amongst 159 films out of total 1807 entries from 100+ Countries.
Department encourages and motivates the students to embellish their knowledge in Print-Media by taking up live projects in the lab. The In-House newsletter ‘EXPRESSIONS’ is published by using top of the line software QUARK XPress-7. It provides an excellent platform to bridge the Industry-Academia gap and prepare the students to emerge as fully trained Print Media professionals.
1. Visit to Doordarshan
- The students of the department visited the Doordarshan Kendra, Chandigarh on 8 th November’ 2017 to participate in a live panel discussion on the topic ‘Effects of Social Media on Youth’. The panel members were Mr. Sanjeev Shukla, senior journalist, Dr. Madanjit Kaur Sahota, member of Child Welfare Committee, Chandigarh and Mr. Ganesh Dutt, IT expert.
2. Workshop on ‘Media Sensitisation on Social Issues’
- On the occasion of National Press Day on 16 th November’ 2017, The Department of Journalism, organized a one-day workshop on ‘Media sensitisation on Social Issues’. Ms Paroma Bhattacharya, Media Head; Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation was the resource person. The Department also released two issues of the Expression magazine on the occasion.
3. Film Making Workshop
- The Photography Club under the aegis of the Department of Journalism conducted a two- day Film-Making workshop on 9 th and 10 th February’ 2018 in collaboration with Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics. The resource persons on the occasion were Mr. Sandeep Sahota, Technical Head, Mr. Kapil Koshik, Senior Faculty, Editing and Mr. Ajay Kumar, Senior Faculty, VFX, Editing. Students were apprised of the various aspects of film making such as concept and theme creation, screen play writing, video making and editing.
- The department of Journalism and Mass communication conducted a one day radio workshop on ‘Radio Jockey Skills’ on Wednesday, September 15th at GGDSD College. Popular radio jockey Manav from 94.3 My FM was invited as resource person. Manav demonstrated voice modulation techniques and gave students interesting and helpful tips to succeed in the field. The workshop aimed to promote an interest in Radio and Radio Jockeying. More than 100 students from the department were present for the workshop.
- Students of department of journalism and Mass Communication visited the office of The Tribune on 22.09.2016 to understand the nuances of print media industry.
- To celebrate National Press Day, the department organised a one-day photography workshop on the topic ‘Photojournalism vs Paparazzi: The Unethical Media Practices’. Mr. Manjit Singh, a senior photographer retired from PTI and Mr. Arpit Jaiswal, video journalist in NDTV were the resource persons on the occasion.
- Students will be releasing the Expressions magazine.
- The department will release a documentary on old age.
- A group discussion was conducted on the topic ‘Are social media and online media empowering print media?’..August 22, 2015
- Eminent journalist and Panjab University alumnus Mr. Shekhar Gupta delivered the first Panjab University Colloquium lecture of the academic session, on the topic ‘Media Today- Noise or News, Fiction or Facts’. Students of PGDMC attended the event..August 31, 2015
- RJ Pankaj from 92.7 Big FM was invited for a lecture cum workshop. He spoke to the students about the life and work of a radio jockey, and the current trends in the radio industry..September 14, 2015
- Students released the Expressions magazine for this session.
- Students will be releasing the Expressions magazine and a documentary on old age..November
- Students conducted a group discussion on the topic – ‘The Degrading Effects of SMS Language on the Youth’ on 2nd August. The students of the department of Journalism visited All India Radio. They interacted with media professionals and were briefed about the practical aspects of news gathering, editing and presentation for radio..August 2, 2014
- TThe students of Elective Journalism staged a play on drug addiction on 9th August..August 9, 2014
- The students of the department of Journalism visited All India Radio. They interacted with media professionals and were briefed about the practical aspects of news gathering, editing and presentation for radio..September 25, 2014
- The students of the department of Journalism attended the inaugural session of the Literati 2014, on 7th Nov with Ms. Priya Chadha and Ms. Divya Jyoti Randev. The literary festival was organised by the Chandigarh Literary Society. The keynote address was given by Mr. Shekhar Gupta, the Vice Chairman of the India Today group and the ex Editor-in-Chief of the Indian Express. He spoke on the topic ‘When Aspirational Becomes Illiberal- Rise of an Impatient India’..November 7, 2014
- Fifteen students from Department of Journalism and Mass Communication participated in the Media Fest-Udaan organized by School of Communication, Chitkara University, Rajpura Campus on November 13, 2014. The students tested their skills of writing, photography, news reading videography and video editing, cartooning at the fest. The students who have participated in various events were- Scribble Pad (Creative Writing): Joy Joshi (BA-II) Priya Panday (BA-I), Hardeep Singh (BA-I), Jaspal Singh (BA-I), Ranjana (BA-II), Varun (BA-II), Ayushi (BA-II). Catch the Glimpse (Photography) : Nikhil (BSc-II), Deepak, Gayatri (BA-I), Sarthak (BA-I), Jaspal Singh (BA-I), News Flash (News Reading) Pratiksha (PGDMC), Aditivity (Advertisement Making): Sarthak, Nikhil, Divya (BSc-II), Documentary: Divya, Aditya (BBA-I), Sarthak, Nikhil, Ajay. Frame Box (Video Editing): Aditya Tickle Your Brain (Quiz):Udit, Ajay, Tooncature (Cartooning): Tanu Gupta (BA-II)..November 13, 2014
- Students of BA II published Expressions magazine..January 2015
- The students of Journalism visited the Day and Night news channel. They interacted with media professionals and were briefed about the practical aspects of news gathering for broadcast media and its production and distribution..January 20, 2014
- The department organised a lecture on ‘Public relations as a management function: Issues and strategies’ on 8th Feb 2014. Renuka Salwan, deputy director, PR, Bureau of Indian Standards, spoke on the topic…Feb 8, 2014
- The department organised a workshop on radio jockeying skills on September 12, 2012. More than 100 students of Journalism, Functional English and Video Reporting participated. Mr. S.P. Singh, Director, Institute of Radio Jockeying, Chandigarh was the key speaker on the occasion. He explained that radio jockeying skills could help the youth in providing a better expression, good discussion ability and leadership qualities. He explained the importance of voice modulation in becoming a good radio jockey. He also held three sessions of Radio Discussions with student groups..September 12, 2012
- Students were taken for a visit to Day and Night News Channel.. Ms. Kamaljeet, Incharge, Day and Night Media Institute and Mr. Gurpreet, crime reporter addressed the students..October 13, 2012
- Students of BA Journalism and PGDMC visited Doordarshan on Nov 30, 2012. The students saw a live interview in the studio which was to be broadcast in Doordarshan’s TV show ‘Ek Kalakar’. Ms. Kousar Praveen, Executive Head, Doordarshan and Mr. Suresh, Cameraman apprised the students about various production techniques..November30, 2012
- The department organised a seminar on ‘Ethics in media and its social responsibility’ on Feb 2, 2013. The key speakers included Mr. Vivek Atray, Director, Harton; Dr. Archana R. Singh, Chairperson, School of Communication Studies, PU; and Mrs, Aruti Nayar, Chief Sub-Editor, The Tribune, Chandigarh. Mr. Atray advised the students to incorporate truth and accuracy in the news in order to maintain credibility. Dr. Singh apprised the students about how to draw a line between objectivity and subjectivity while reporting for print media. Mrs. Nayar discussed social responsibilities of the journalists and pressures which the Chief sub-editors face while meeting deadlines in the news room..Feb 2, 2013
- The department organised a two-day workshop on February 7-8, 2013 to impart information about the technical and creative role of the editor. Mr. Mandeep Sodhi, Director of Sodhi Creative Films from Canada conducted the workshop..Feb 7, 2013