Department of Chemistry
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- The Department of Chemistry in the college was established in 1979 with Prep and pre-engineering/medical classes. The undergraduate classes started in 1986.
- UGC, New Delhi, granted us with an innovative course in M.Sc. Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical). It was successfully implemented in the year 2008.
- The Department of Chemistry was awarded a RESEARCH CENTRE, by Panjab University in 2014 for conducting Ph.D. programme in Chemistry.
- From the current session extensive use of the learning exchange (LX) module has been undertaken by the faculty for teaching purposes.
|Courses Offered||Duration||Seats||Academic Qualification||Mode of admission||Elective Combinations|
|Ph. D degree program||–||M. Sc. with Chemistry,UGC/NET or PU Ph.D. test qualified||Based on Merit|
|M.Sc. (Applied chemistry Pharmaceutical)||2years (Semester System)||20*||
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Pharmacy
from any University/ Institute recognized
by the Panjab University. With minimum 55% marks.
|Based on Merit|
|B.Sc. (Medical)||3 years (Annual System)||150*||
10+2 with Physics,
|Based on merit of PCB||
1.Chemistry, Botany ,Zoology
2.Chemistry, Biochemistry, Botany
3.Chemistry, Biochemistry, Zoology
4.Chemistry, Industrial Microbiology, Botany
5.Chemistry, Industrial Microbiology, Zoology
6.Chemistry, Biotechnology, Botany
7.Chemistry, Biotechnology, Zoology
8. Industrial Chemistry, Chemistry, Botany
9. Industrial Chemistry, Chemistry, Zoology
|B.Sc. (Non Medical)||3 years (Annual System)||150*||
10+2 with Physics,
|Based on merit of PCM||
1.Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics
2.Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry
3.Chemistry, Mathematics, Biochemistry
4. Industrial Chemistry, Chemistry, Mathematics
*Subject to Change
FACULTY OF CHEMISTRY:
|Name & Email||
Dr. Sajeev Soni
|8||3||6||13||9||4||Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry|
|Dr. Jasamrit Kaur email@example.com||21||1/1||9||12||7||6||Ph.D., Synthetic Organic Chemistry|
Dr. Shweta Wadhawan
|15||-/1||9||12||7||4||Ph.D., Physical Chemistry|
Dr. Jyoti Kataria
|5||-/1||12||12||6||3||Ph.D., Organometallic Chemistry|
Ms. Jasprit Kaur
|–||-/1||1||9||2||–||M.Phil., Organic Chemistry|
Ms. Priyanka Mor
|–||-/1||1||10||2||–||M.Sc., Applied Chemistry(Pharmaceutical)|
Dr. Mamta Sharma
|2||–||6||3||3||–||Ph.D., Synthetic Organic Chemistry|
Dr. Mehak Rohilla
|1||–||13||11||2||–||Ph.D., Synthetic Organic Chemistry and Natural Products|
Ms. Ayushi Jain
|–||–||6||4||4||–||M.Sc., Organic Chemistry(Pursuing Ph.D.)|
Ms. Neha Nanda
|–||–||1||3||2||–||M. Phil, Inorganic chemistry|
Mr. Prabjot Ghumman
|1||–||9||9||3||–||M.Sc., Physical Chemistry(Pursuing Ph.D.)|
Dr. Moitree Laskar
|11||–||3||2||2||–||Ph.D., Inorganic chemistry|
Dr. Harjeet Kaur
Ms. Kamalpreet Kaur
Dr. Sweety Gogoi
|6||1||6||8||1||—||Ph.D., Physical Chemistry|
Dr. Pooja Rani
|6||–||4||4||1||—||Ph.D., Physical Chemistry|
Mr. Navjot Singh
Ms. Tanushree Basu
|2||–||10||10||3||–||M.Sc., Applied chemistry(Pursuing Ph.D.)|
Mr. Sahil Verma
|–||–||–||1||–||–||M.Sc., Organic Chemistry|
Ms. Ramandeep Kaur
Ms. Raveena Thakur
TECHNICAL STAFF: FOUR
Research project successfully completed.
|Name of the PI/ Co-PI||Title of the Project||Duration||Date of Completion||Funding Agency|
|Dr.(Mrs.) Jasamrit Nayyar||‘Green Organic Transformation using aqueous media and non-conventional energies’||3 years||2008||DST, New Delhi|
|Dr. Sajeev Soni and Dr. (Mrs) Jyoti Kataria||‘Cationic chloropentaamminecobalt (III) chloride as anion receptor: Synthesis, Characterization and X-ray crystallographic studies.’||3 years||2012||UGC, New Delhi|
Awards received by the faculty
|Dr. Jyoti Kataria||In recognition for services rendered as a teacher.||5th September, 2016||Municipal Corporation , Chandigarh|
|Ms. Harjeet Kaur||International travel award||4th July, 2016||International Brain research organization (IBRO)/ Asia Pacific Regional Committee|
|Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry and Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical)||
- FT-IR ( Perkin-Elmer 450-4400nm)
- UV-VISIBLE SPECTROPHOTOMETER
- RESEARCH POLARIMETER
- KARL-FISCHER APPARATUS
- MICROWAVE SYNTHESIS SYSTEMS
- DIGITAL ELECTRONIC BALANCE (0.001g sensitivity)
- WATER ASPIRATORS
- ICE FLAKER
- FUME HOODS
The Department is well stocked with chemicals and glassware as well as a number of minor equipments and instruments.
- A ‘Popular Lectures’on Instrumentation Techniques in Chemistry (HPLC, GC, IR, UV-Visible Spectrophotometer) under Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), Director Higher Education, Chandigarh Administration. Date 21-03-2016
- Workshop’ on Instrumentation Techniques in Chemistry (HPLC, GC, IR, UV-Visible Spectrophotometer) under Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), Director Higher Education, Chandigarh Administration. Date 22-03-2016
- Students of B.Sc. (I.C.) and M.Sc. Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical) went for an industrial visit to University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun. Date 5th to 6th -03-2016
- Students of M.Sc. Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical) attended Regulatory and Analytical Techniques at PGIMER, Chandigarh. Date 20-10-16
- Industrial visit to DSM, Ropar by B.Sc. (I.C.) and M.Sc. Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical) students. Date 24-09-2016
- The students of M.Sc. 1st &2nd year Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical) attended 3rd International Conference on Polymer Processing and Characterization 2014 from 11th to 13th October, 2014 at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India. They were accompanied by Ms Priyanka Mor, Ms Rupanjeet Kaur of the Department of Chemistry.
- The students of B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry visited the Rajasthan textile development corporation (RTDC), near Ajmer road, Jaipur and Snow white marble P. Ltd., Kishangarh at Jaipur.
- Department of Chemistry organized various competitions (Quiz, Power point presentation, Rangoli, Essay Writing, Poster Making) on 21st Feb, 2015.
- Ms Priyanka Mor and Ms Rupanjeet Kaur attended the 3rd International Conference on Polymer Processing and Characterization 2014 from 11th to 13th October, 2014 at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India.
- The Department of Chemistry organized a DBT sponsored seminar on ‘Current Trends in Chemistry’ on 15th November, 2014. Dr. Shweta Kapoor delivered a lecture on Nanotechnology: Small speaking louder and Mr. R. Narula delivered very interesting lectures on Standardisation and Consumer Protection.
- Dr Shweta Wadhawan attended the 9th Chandigarh Science Congress-2015 on February 25-27, 2015 in the Panjab University Campus.
- Dr Jyoti Kataria attended Asian Network for Natural and Unnatural Materials-2015 on 28th Feb-2nd March, 2015, in the Panjab University Campus.
- Department of Chemistry organized a workshop on instrumentation techniques in Chemistry (FTIR, HPLC, GC and UV) on March 26th, 2015.
- Dr. Amarjit kaur, Department of Chemistry, Panjab University, Chandigarh, delivered a lecture on ‘Nuclear Magnetic Resonance: Basic Concept’ on March 18th , 2015.
- A DBT sponsored seminar on ‘Current Trends in Chemistry’, in which 65 students participated. Date 15-11-14
- A workshop on instrumentation techniques in Chemistry (FTIR, HPLC, GC and UV). Date 26-03-2015
- A series of popular lectures were also held in the department with a participation of 35 students. Date 218 & 19-03-2015 & 25-03-2015
- The students of M.Sc. 1st & 2nd year Applied Chemistry (Pharmaceutical) attended 3rd International Conference on Polymer Processing and Characterization 2014 at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India. Date 11 to 13-10-2014
- Department of Chemistry organized various competitions (Quiz, Power point presentation, Rangoli, Essay Writing, and Poster Making), in which 58 students participated. Date 21-02-2015
- The students of B.Sc. 1st, 2nd and 3rd year Industrial Chemistry visited the Rajasthan textile development corporation (RTDC), near Ajmer road, Jaipur and Snow white marble P. Ltd., Kishangarh at Jaipur. Date 16-02-2015
- The faculty and students of Department of Chemistry have been actively involved in organizing a number of one-day seminars, lectures and trips over the past years.
- A DBT Sponsored, Popular Lectures cum Two-Day Workshop on ‘Instrumentation Techniques in Chemistry’ (HPLC, GC, IR, UV-VISIBLE SPECTROPHOTOMETER) was organized on January 17th & 18th, 2014.
The following speakers graced the occasion:
- Dr. Ashok K. Vijh (M. Res., Research Institute of Hydro-Quebec, Quebec, Canada) spoke on Science as Culture: The Unity of Creative processes in Arts and Sciences.
- Dr. Rakesh Singh Dhanda (Assistant Professor, Department of Translational and Regenerative Medicine, PGIMER) delivered a lecture on the Basics of Stem Cells.
- Dr. Saranjit Singh (Professor & Head, Pharmaceutical Analysis, NIPER Mohali) delivered a lecture on the Current/Futuristic Instrumental Techniques for Analysis of Pharmaceuticals.
Dr. Sajeev Soni and Dr. Jasamrit Nayyar attended the ICIACS 2013 on the 30th of October and 1st of November, 2013, at Department of Chemistry, PU, Chandigarh.
- A one day Seminar on the topic, ‘On being a scientist; Legal and Ethical Aspects’ and training on HPLC & GC in which 95 students participated. Date 30 -01-2013
- A popular lecture was held in the department, entitled, ‘Science in Every Day Life,’ with the participation of approximately 45 students. Date 02-02-2013
- Some of our students attended the ‘5th International Symposium on Drug Development for Orphan/Neglected Diseases’ at CDRI, Lucknow’.Date 26 to 28-02-2013
- A series of Guest lectures were held in the department, with participation of approximately 75 students. Date 29-02-2012, 31-03-2012
- Industrial visit to DSM, Ropar by B.Sc. 3rd year industrial chemistry students. on 15-02-2012
- The students of M.Sc. 1st & 2nd went on an Industrial visit to Aventis Pharma Ltd., Goa. Date 18 to 24 -03- 2012