Department of Psychology
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Psychology department is a department which actively approaches to enhance the learning experience of students. Since its inception in 2005 the department has been dedicating all its efforts’ to maintain its institutional and industrial standards. The department which merely started with 25 students now has strength of more than 350 students in all three years. The subject is offered with 127 different combinations and courses catering to the present demand of the subjects are run by the department. The department also has a Psychology Club in name of “Aesthesia” which in its attempt to train the students about psychological techniques and provide them on sustained basis emotional and motivational platform for overall development of personality every year organizes: Life Skill Testing Programs, Free Career Counselling session for students of Class X & XII, Workshops, Seminars and a Psychology Fest “Paradigm” which includes a host of literary and cultural competitions among colleges of tricity who participate in the fest.
Department of Psychology also provides psychological and academic support through Stress Management Centre- MANASUDAY by conducting individual counselling and meditational-therapeutic sessions by the competent faculty of the department. The purpose of the centre is to provide: individual stress management assessments and prescriptions, followed by exploration and practice in various techniques, and finally skill development. The emphasis of this centre is on providing a number of approaches for the control of harmful anxiety. The centre caters services like one to one counselling, self instructional and motivational material for individuals facing inconsequential distress and last but not the least social stimulation techniques for training in a group setting. This is an endeavour to provide on campus help to students learn new skills of dealing with stress. This is a holistic or comprehensive approach that will provide greater assurance that everybody will receive the assistance they need.
Courses Taught by the Department:
|Courses Offered||Duration||Seats||Academic Qualification||Mode of Admission|
|B.A. in Psychology||3 Years||160||Marks in 10+2||Based on Meritt|
|Psychology Honors||2 Years||50||50% in Psychology in B.A. I Psychology main course.||Based on Merit|
|Add On Course in Guidance and Counseling||
|Add On Course in Child Psychology||
The department boasts of possessing an enlightened faculty comprising 4 PhD’s and 1 faculty member is pursuing her PhD. The faculty members are not only professionally competent are also regularly updating their knowledge and adopting innovative techniques to make the teaching learning experience enjoyable for students.
|Name & Email||No. of Publications with ISSN number||No. of Books with ISBN number||
Orientation courses /FDP attended
|Area of Specialization|
Dr. Tarun Deep Kaur
|Counseling Psychology & Clinical Psychology|
|Sports Psychology, Clinical Psychology & Health Psychology|
Dr. Nidhi Chadha
|Organizational psychology, counselling psychology and Clinical psychology|
Dr. Minakshi Rana
|Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology|
Ms. Ashima Irfan
|Cognitive Psychology, Counseling Psychology & industrial Psychology|
- Electronic Depth Perception Tester
- Photo Electric Rotary Pursuit
- Audio Visual Reaction Time
- Digital Flicker Fusion
- Digital Memory Scope
- Digital Mirror Tracking Apparatus
- Differential aptitude test battery
- Career Preference Record
- Sodhi Attitude Scale
- Adjustment Inventory for college Students
- Aggression Scale
- Adaptation of WAIS
- L.N. Dubey Problem Solving Ability
- History and development of Indian Education
- Skinner Box
- Apparent Movement
- Development Screening Test
- Coloured Progressive Matrices
- Group Test of General Mental Ability
- Comprehensive Interest Schedule
- Judging Emotion by Photographs
- Eysenck Personality Inventory
- Depression Inventory
- Psychology Counseling Need Scale
- Diagnostic Test For Learning Disability
- Personal Stress Source Inventory
- PGI Health Questionnaire
- IPAT Anxiety Scale
- Tachistoscope Electronic
- Division of Attention Board
- Stop Watch digital Racer
- Level of Aspiration
- Jalota Intelligence Test
- Deo-Mohan Achievement Motivation
- Self Concept By Saraswat
- PGI Health Questionnaire
- IPAT Anxiety Scale
- Personal Stress Source Inventory
- Judgment of Emotions by Photographs
- Adjustment Inventory for College students
- Eysenck Personality Questionnaire
- Davis Battery for Differential Aptitude
- Reynold Depression Scale
- Levenson Locus of Control
- Alexander Pass Along
- Three day Heartfulness Relaxation and Meditation Workshop (by Senior Most Spiritual Trainer "Rajgopalan Ji" from Chennai from 15 th to 17 th November, 2016. Practice of heartfulness meditation helped the students to remain centered in the heart whilst enhancing the capabilities of the mind and develop an all important poise and inner harmony necessary to respond skillfully to the demands of professional and personal life.
- Three day visit to Cheshire Homes, Dehradun (Disability and Rehabilitation Centre) from 4 th to 6 th February, 2017. The purpose of the visit was to sensitize the students of psychology regarding the special needs of such children and to have practical understanding of topics such as mental retardation and learning disability. The students were accompanied by 2 faculty members – Dr. Tarun Deep Kaur & Dr. Nidhi Chadha.
- The students of Department of Psychology bagged 1 st prize in Psycho Drama, 2 nd prize in Poster making and 3 rd prize in Paper Presentation in the Intercollege Psychology Fest held at PGGCG Sector 11, Chandigarh on 4 th March, 2017. The students were accompanied by 2 faculty members – Dr. Tarun Deep Kaur & Dr. Nidhi Chadha.
- Department of psychology in collaboration with Aesthesia Club organised an educational visit for students of psychology to Aastha Therapeutic Intervention Center, Mohali on 15th September, 2017. Field experience was aimed to give students a firsthand experience of working with special children. Students were accompanied by Dr. Minakshi.
- Department of psychology in collaboration with Aesthesia Club organised a Special Talk "Emotional Intelligence: Key to Excellence" by Prof. (Dr.) Vidhu Mohan on 28 th October, 2017. This talk helped students to become aware about importance of Emotional Intelligence in one's life and understanding the art of social relationships.
- Life Skill Testing Program: A four day Life Skill testing Programme was organized in GGDSD College, by Department of Psychology on 31st August – 4th September. The Programme which was undertaken by Manasuday- the Stress Management cell of the College, aimed to help college students in achieving academic excellence and personal growth. As many as 180 students participated in the four day programme. They were tested for self esteem, well being, self efficacy, decision making, leadership qualities and personality types. The testing will be followed by sharing individual reports with students giving them concrete directions in term of their strengths and the areas they need to work upon.
- One-day workshop on Emotional Empowerment Technique: Understanding the kind of stressors college students are dealing with, “Manasuday” run by Department of Psychology, GGDSD College has taken another step to help students in dealing with academic, personal and vocational stress by organizing a workshop on EET on 19th September, 2015. This workshop was conducted by Dr. Ibadat Khan, faculty member of Department of Psychology and former Psychologist of GMSH- Sector 16. The central theme of this workshop was to provide the students with an emotional skill which can help them in handling nerve-racking situations in their routine life. This workshop covered emotional aspects of personality such as how emotions affect us in daily life, what is emotional empowerment technique, how to use emotional empowerment technique and its application to release negative emotions and enhance positive emotions. In all 250 students benefitted from the workshop and learnt practical methods to deal with everyday burdens and thus equipped themselves with techniques which would help them towards optimal living.
- Departmental Educational Trip SMPC, Aadarsh Nagar, Jaipur on January, 2016
- The department organized a Collage-making competition on 12th August, 2016 in the Psychology Laboratory covering such topics as Social Media Addiction, Conflicts in Young Adults, & Recent Trends in Fashion.
- Three day life-skill testing program was conducted from 17th – 19th September, 2016 for college students for facilitation of students academic skills and potential with the collaboration of Manasuday and Aesthesia club.
- Life Skill Testing Program: A four day Life Skill testing Programme was organized in GGDSD College, by Department of Psychology on 31st August – 4th September, 2015. The Programme which was undertaken by Manasuday- the Stress Management cell of the College.
- One-day workshop on Emotional Empowerment Technique: Understanding the kind of stressors college students are dealing with, “Manasuday” run by Department of Psychology, GGDSD College on 19th September, 2015.
- Movie Screening was done on Schizophrenia entitled ” The Beautiful Mind ” for department students in 2015
- Visit to Himachal Hospital of Mental Health and Rehabilitation at Shimla, H.P. (February, 2015)
- Seminar on “Current Perspectives and Future trends in Psychology” by Dr. Vidhu Mohan on 13th September 2013
- Visit to Aastha Therapeutic Center on 19th November 2013
- Workshop on “A New perspective to Psychology : Understanding the therapeutic and Intervention Strategies” on 21st and 22nd January 2014
- Movie Screening on ‘Shutter Island’ and “The Aviator” was organized for department students in 2014
- Talk on Stress management by Mr V.K. Kapoor on 21st February 2014
- Aesthesia, the Psychology club of the college organized a visit for its Psychology students to a Special school: Deepalaya, in Delhi in January 2012. It is a National Level institute dealing with mentally retarded, cerebral Palsy, down syndrome, deaf and dumb children.
- Career Counseling Week was organized during 6th-13th February, 2012 for class X and XII students in college premises.
- Life Skill Testing Program was conducted for 160 college students on 13th November.
- Career Counselling Program was organized for class X &XII students on 8th & 9th June. In all 250 students got their aptitude testing done and benefitted from the career choices suggested to them.
- Life Skill testing program was conducted on 8th August 2011 for the new admissions in college. It was an endeavour to assess students on the parameters of Life skills and further train them in adjusting to the new environment and perk up their skills.
- Aesthesia the Psychology Club organized “Paradigm” a Psychology Fest on 17th November. The fest is organized with the motive to promote Psychology and create awareness among the youth about the various prospects of the subject in the emerging times. It included a host of literary and cultural competitions in which students of various colleges of the city and the nearby areas participate enthusiastically. The event was a huge success and drew an overwhelming response.