Department of Fashion Designing
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Fashion design is a growing field. The creation of a world market for Indian garments is largely the contribution of Indian fashion designers. Fashion Design department has a specialized Under Graduate Degree course with vocational elective subject B.A. with Fashion Designing. It also has an Add on course in Fashion designing; 1yr. Certificate, 2yrs. Diploma & 3yrs. Advance Diploma Course. Aspiring fashion designers can look forward to their share of excitement in their chosen field with design and technical skills, from that first spark of an idea born as an illustration, to fabric choice and the drape on a dress form, with a vision to an artistic creation. The trend for growth is set for upcoming fashion entrepreneurs. The college has been granted with Deen Dayal Upadhyay Kaushal Kendra status for running skill-based courses. The Department is running Bachelor of Vocation (Fashion technology and Apparel Design) and Master of Vocation (Fashion technology and Apparel Design) with industrial tie-ups with leading organizations for training and placement.
|Courses Offered||Duration||Seats||Academic Qualification||Mode of admission|
|M.Voc. (Fashion Technology and Apparel Design)||*2 Years||25||B.Voc or equivalent in the relevant discipline of the university or examination of any other university which have been recognized by the syndicate as equivalent there to with not less than 45% marks in the aggregate. Equivalency will be defined by Skill Development Board as and when required.||Based on Merit|
|B.A. with Fashion Designing||3 Years||—||Marks in 10+2||Based on Meritt|
|B.Voc. (FASHION TECHNOLOGY AND APPAREL DESIGN)||*3 Years||50||passed the +2 examination (any stream) under 10+2+3 system of education of a recognized University/Board/Council or any other examination recognized by Panjab University||Merit Basis|
*The programme provides an option of multiple exit points at the end of the 1st and 2nd year.
**Subject to approval of Panjab University
ADD ON COURSES
- Fashion Designing
|Name & Email||No. of Publications with ISSN number||No. of Books with ISBN number||Oral/ poster present- ation||Conferences/ seminar attended||Workshop attended||Refresher/ Orientation courses /FDP attended||Area of Specialization|
|Dr. Sumita Sikka firstname.lastname@example.org||10||5||18||36||13||4 FDP||Clothing and Textiles, Fashion Technology and lifestyle|
|Ms. Priya Malik Priya.email@example.com||1||2||3||5||4||1 FDP||Clothing and Textiles|
|Ms.Tania Sharma Tania.firstname.lastname@example.org||1||1||4||4||5||4 FDP||Clothing and Textiles|
|Ms. Deepa Deepa1@ggdsd.ac.in||—||—||—||2||2||2 FDP||Fashion and Life Style Technology|
|Ms.Akshdeep Kaur email@example.com||1||—||—||1||—||—||Fashion and Life Style Technology|
|Ms. Shwetambri firstname.lastname@example.org||4||—||—||1||—||—||Clothing and Textiles|
INFRASTRUCTUREState-of-the-art separate Lab for stitching & Pattern making with modern equipments like,
- Computerized Embroidery Machine -01
- Flat lock machines -01
- Interlock machines -1
- Sewing Machine with Treadle – 10
- Industrial Sewing Machine -10
- Pattern Making Sewing Machine – 10
- Automatic Stitch Magic Machine-01
- Sewing Machine ( Universal with motor) – 04
- Female dress forms – 26
- Female Mannequins – 03
- Kids Mannequins – 03
- Male Mannequins – 01
- Fixed Work Stations for computer-12
- Pattern tables – 06
- Cutting tables – 02
- Printing Tables-02
- Tracing Table-01
- Basic frame Looms-05
- Fabric cutting machine-01
- Patternmaking , cutting and Finishing equipments – Miscellaneous
- Expert Lecture Series on World Earth Day – The Department of Fashion Designing and Institute Innovation Council, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sector 32, Chandigarh organized an Expert Lecture Series on World Earth Day. Dr Gaurav Gaur, Asst. Professor, Centre for Social Work, Panjab University, Chandigarh elaborated on various Eco-sustainable ways of living that are easy to adopt in our everyday life. Mrs Swati Bhan, Contributing Editor, News18 enlightened the audience about the innovative and enterprising initiatives that news and media personnel have adopted over the years to contribute towards a clean and green Earth. Dr Sumita Sikka, Head of Fashion Designing Department also shared her views on conscious and sustainable fashion for the preservation of Earth. Over 200 students and faculty attended the Expert Lecture Series. The event also included a live quiz on the importance of Earth Day.
- Exhibition at Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sec-32, Chandigarh by TrendsModa Club- An exhibition-cum-sale was organized by TrendsModa Club of Fashion Designing Department at Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sec-32, Chandigarh on 12th April, 2022. Students of B.Voc (Fashion Technology and Apparel Designing) and B.A (Fashion Designing) implemented their designing skills and presented a collection of hand embroidered, hand painted and semi stitched dress materials, dupttas, hand bags, frocks, skirts, home décor items etc.
- Exhibition at Chandigarh Club by TrendsModa Club of GGDSD College – An exhibition-cum-sale was organized by TrendsModa Club of Fashion Designing Department in collaboration with Institution’s Innovation Council (Ministry of Education Initiative) at Rivayat, Chandigarh Club on 9th April, 2022 from 12 noon to 9 pm. The products displayed were made by 60 students of B.Voc (Fashion Technology and Apparel Designing) and B.A (Fashion Designing) either as class projects or in one week duration under the mentorship of Dr Sumita Sikka, Ms Priya Malik and Ms Tania Sharma. These were hand embroidered, hand painted and semi stitched dress materials, dupttas, hand bags, frocks, skirts, home décor items etc
- Visit to 39th Hunar Haat- In order to provide exposure of more than 700 India’s traditional and ancestral art and crafts, a visit to Hunar Haat at Parade Ground, Sctor-17 was organized by Head of Fashion Designing Dr Sumita Sikka on 2nd April, 2022. The main theme of the fair was ‘Vocal for local’ and ‘best from waste’. This visit provides an insight to the students on usage of fabrics and development of various marketable products through embroidery, printing and painting. They were accompanied by faculty members Ms. Tania Sharma and Ms. Akshdeep.
- Online Webinar “Image Styling”- was conducted by Fashion Designing Department on 29th September, 2021. Ms. Ashmeen Kaur, Freelance Designer was the keynote speaker. She discusses about fashion styling and stylist, skills required to become a stylist, history and future of styling.
- Online Workshop ‘AIM’ (Artist in me) – Fevicryl hobby art expert Ms.Shashi Guleria was resource person. It was attended by 30 students of B.Voc (Fashion Technology and apparel Design) and BA (Fashion Designing). The workshop was held on 28th-29th August and 4th-5th September and was of one hour duration..
- Virtual Alumni Reconnect by Department of Fashion Designing- Department of Fashion Designing, organized a Virtual Alumni Reconnect on 17th July, 2021. The main objective of the reunion was to give students brief introduction about the M.Voc Fashion Technology & Apparel Design course which the department is going to introduce from the coming session. Around 35+ Alumni attended the meet and gave their valuable feedback on how the department has helped them reach their goals and be able to make an identity of their own in fashion industry.
- Guidance and Counseling Session- Trendsmoda club organized a Guidance and Counseling Session for students of the Department of Fashion Designing on 10th June 2021. The guest speakers, Mr. Gaurav Kumar, Design Head (Aman Export International) and Ms. Ashmeen Kaur, Research Assistant and Mentor to Students designing collections at Paris and New York Fashion week. The session was attended by 75 students along with the faculty members, of 1 hour and 15 mins duration.
- Workshop on Fabric Painting-Three days Fevicryl workshop was organized from13th -15th 2020 by Fashion Designing department for the students of B.Voc (Fashion Technology and apparel Design). Fevicryl hobby art expert Ms.Shashi Guleria and HOD of Fashion Designing Department Dr Sumita Sikka were resource persons . It was attended by 35 students along with faculty member Ms. Jatinder Kaur . Students learnt various art and craft techniques in the workshop.
- Online Workshop by TrendsModa Club Fashion Designing Department As creativity can better be explored by working practically, so Fevicryl ‘Artist in Me’ online Workshop was organised by TrendsModa Club Department of Fashion Designing of Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh. Under this curriculum, there were 12 projects on different art techniques. The workshop had started on 20th December 2020 and continued till 30 January 2021. There were 12 sessions of one hour duration, which were held on Saturdays and Sundays. The curriculum was specially designed for students of Fashion Designing.
- Webinar report- Department of Fashion Designing and TrendsModa club A webinar on ‘Design: from concept to consumer’ was organised by Department of Fashion Designing and TrendsModa club of Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh for its faculty and students on 19th January 2021. Mr. Siddhartha Bansal, was the guest speaker who is currently a renowned designer in the fashion industry. His designs have been worn by some of the most renowned names in Bollywood. In the webinar, he talked about getting inspiration from Indian mythology, rich traditions and crafts for developing a concept or story. He explained the ways in which he is using various techniques and crafts. He emphasised on the importance of being ethical and original in design work. Various questions by the students were also answered by him. 95 students from the department attended the event, which was of one hour duration. The webinar was organised by Dr Sumita Sikka, Head, Department of Fashion Designing and coordinator TrendsModa Club .It was coordinated by Ms Shiwani Bisht , Assistant Professor in Fashion Designing. The webinar was a good opportunity for all the young aspiring and budding designers. His journey of building his brand and making it to the magazine cover was an inspiration to all.
- TrendsModa Club and IQA Cell of Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma (GGDSD) College, Chandigarh recently organised 8 weeks ‘Resilience Programme’ in collaboration with a Spiritual Application Research Centre (SpARC) of Rajyoga Education and Research Foundation (RERF), Mt. Abu. The main objective of the programme was to help the participants cope with personal and academic stress during this pandemic. The programme began on 26th April, 2021. Three sessions were held every week for faculty and students of the institution free of cost. The programme was developed to enhance the capability of the students and faculty members as a period of isolation has brought uncertainty and anxiety. The programme dealt with various aspects of personal improvement such as realising one’s full potential, better insight of oneself, management of stress, etc. Different topics are discussed with participants such as understanding consciousness, what are we conscious of and how to concentrate on consciousness, breakdown and breakthrough, the power of a child, nurturing the child within and much more. It educates participants to foster soul consciousness and the spirit of universal brotherhood. It also helped the participants to achieve higher levels of academic confidence and concentration. The concluding session was on 14th June 2021. The Chief Guest of the session was BK Srikant, National Coordinator and Office In-Charge SpARC, Mt. Abu and Guest of Honour Dr. Ramajayam G., Neuroscientist at National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience, Bengaluru. It was an interactive session between the participants, Faculty and the dignitaries of the SpARC Wing. The participants shared their learnings and experience throughout the programme. The Guest Speakers appreciated and encouraged the participants to continue the journey and use the learning in their life. Around 55-60 participants regularly attended the session and 20 participants completed the session with more than 90% attendance. It was a highly enriching programme for the participants and will help them make the journey of life happy and peaceful.
- Trendsmoda club of Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh organized a Guidance and Counseling Session for students of the Department of Fashion Designing on 10th June 2021. The guest speakers, Mr. Gaurav Kumar, Design Head (Aman Export International) and Ms. Ashmeen Kaur, Research Assistant and Mentor to Students designing collections at Paris and New York Fashion week. They shared their career experiences and tips on how students can succeed, get biggest internships in this pandemic and ways to display their work out in the industry. They also answered questions asked by the students. The session was attended by 75 students along with the faculty members, of 1 hour and 15 mins duration.
- Department of Fashion Designing, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh organized a Virtual Alumni Reconnect on 17th July, 2021. It was an incredible reunion of alumni, students and faculty members. The main objective of the reunion was to give students brief introduction about the M.Voc Fashion Technology & Apparel Design course which the department is going to introduce from the coming session. Attendees enjoyed a virtual tour of their department, the new M.Voc Lab and a nostalgic virtual tour of their college trips, Fashion show and various Departmental activities of which they had been a part. Around 35+ Alumni attended the meet and gave their valuable feedback on how the department has helped them reach their goals and be able to make an identity of their own in fashion industry. Everyone got an opportunity to renew their lifelong connection to their alma-mater. It was a fantastic opportunity to reconnect with friends and classmates. The introduction of M.Voc Fashion Technology & Apparel Design course was well appreciated by the students and they also showed interest in enrolling themselves for the course. The Alumni sincerely expressed their gratitude to the college management, Worthy Principal, Dr Balraj Thapar and the faculty members for organizing this event for them even at the time of pandemic.
- Education trip to LUCKNOW : An educational tour was organised to Lucknow for the B.Voc (Fashion Technology and Apparel Design) students. The trip was organised from 12th, october,2019 to 16th,october,2019 .The group of 39 students along with faculty members Dr Sumita Sikka, Ms. Alpa Sharma, Ms. Jatinder Kaur embarked on the journey. The trip started with the visit to Ambedkar Memorial Park dedicated to DR. B.R. Ambedkar. Students went to Malihabad village, 30kms from the city to meet the local artisans engaged in the craft of chikankari embroidery. The highlight of the tour was the visit to Bara Imambara which is a historical monument.
- Workshop on Fabric Painting : Three days workshop was organized by Fashion Designing department for the students of B.Voc (Fashion Technology and apparel Design). Fevicryl hobby art expert Ms.Shashi Guleria and HOD of Fashion Designing Department Dr Sumita Sikka were resource persons . It was attended by 35 students along with faculty members Ms. Jatinder Kaur and Priya Malik. Students learnt various art and craft techniques in the workshop.
- NATIONAL CRAFTS MELA,KALAGRAM 2019 : An excursion was organised for the students of B.VOC FTAD to the much awaited fair, National crafts mela at Kalagram, Chandigarh on 16 th November, 2019. They were accompanied by faculty members Ms Alpa Sharma and Ms Jatinder Kaur. An elaborate gate that is inspired by architecture of Arunachal Pradesh giving a grand welcome by nagada party , artists and artisans setting up their stalls, the 11 th edition of the National Crafts mela was a perfect blend of leisure and knowledge. Themed around west to east this time the annual festival has 19 participating states and 210 stalls.
- Annual Exhibition 2019 : Two days exhibition organized by the TrendsModa (Club of Fashion DesigningDepartment) of GGDSD College concluded today.It was inaugurated by Dr. Prabhdip Brar, Chairperson UIFT, Panjab University, Chandigarh. Principal Dr. Balraj Thapar, President Sh. Upkar Krishan Sharma and members of college managing committee graced the occasion. The students showcased their current semester work. There were art works, and embellished home furnishing products by first year students. Second year students showed their photography and packaging skills which is an integral part of fashion industry. Third year students displayed various draped stoles which are trending these days.
- Fashion Show- Trends Moda : The Department of Fashion Technology and Apparel Design of GGDSD College Chandigarh organised it’s annual fashion show ‘Trendsmoda’ today. The event was curated by the department, student fashion designers who showcased their creations. The show produced as a theatrical production, displayed the unique designs and costumes of the young, talented designers. The backdrop for showcasing of these designs was constructed with neutral colours and 3D effects. Prizes were given to the winners by Dr. Poonam Aggarwal Thakur the Chief Guest and by the Guest of Honour, Dr. Neha Miglani, Chief Consulting Editor of the Lifestyle Journalist Magazine. The students bagged Best design collection award- Muskaan Jain, Best constructed collection -Bhavna Sharma, Best commercial collection Priyanka and Jasmeen Kaur. Best Seamstress award- Luxmi The show was well appreciated by the Principal, Dr Balraj Thapar and President, GGDSD College Society, Shri Upkar Krishan Sharma. Dr Sumita Sikka, Head, Department of Fashion Designing, Ms Alpa Sharma, Ms Jatinder Kaur, Mrs Priya Malik and Ms Rekha Singh were responsible for putting up the entire show.
- Education trip to Jaipur & Pushkar by Department of Fashion Designing :An education trip from 15 th October -20 th October 2018 was organized where group of 31 students accompanied by Ms. Sumita Sikka, coordinator B.Voc (FTAD) Ms.Alpa Sharma & Ms.Jatinder Kaur Assistant Professors .Student Visited Bangru village to see the process of Dabu printing, indigo dyeing and manufacturing of wooden blocks. They also saw various crafts like Blue pottery, Chindi sheet manufacturing by textile waste & Multihead embroidery machine.
- NATIONAL CRAFTS MELA,KALAGRAM 2018 : The visit to much awaited fair, National crafts mela ,Kalagram, Chandigarh was organized by Ms Sumita Sikka,Coordinator B.voc FTAD on November 16th, 2018. The students visited the10th edition of the fair with faculty members Ms Alpa Sharma and Ms Jatinder kaur. Students explored the cultures of various states .They witnessed the traditional crafts and folk arts of different states from across the Country . The theme of the fair was “south central zone”. Students visited 170 stalls displaying spectacular work of artisians and craftsmen of various states.
- Workshop on textile waste weaving : Workshop was conducted for B.Voc 4 th Semester (Fashion Technology and ApparelDesign) students on 2 nd , 3 rd .9 th ,16 th and 19 th February 2019 (Saturday, Sunday & holiday) to create product using Textile waste (Boutique waste). Ms. Sumita Sikka HOD Fashion. Designing Department discussed various techniques for product development using textile waste with students. Concepts were then developed. Ms. Shweta Sharma , HOD Textile Design Department of NIIFT , Mohali gave input and practical demonstration on different weaving techniques on wooden frames. The final outcome was various products like wall panels, skirt, bags, dresses, jewelry etc.
- Annual Exhibition : The students of all three years of B.Voc Fashion Technology and Apparel Design and B.A final year students of fashion designing organized Annual Exhibition in the department on 26th April 2019. The first year students exhibited basic stitching samples, elements of design and surface enhancement samples. Second year students display their visual merchandising skills, computer aided designs and garments with special fabric like fake Fur, fake leather, stretchable satins etc. In third year students make theme based collection. The display was a treat for eyes showcasing the work of 66 students of different classes.
- TrendsModa Fashion show presented by B.Voc FTAD and B.A Fashion Designing students on 24th February 2018 in Vivacity Fest. There were total 16 collections inspired from various theme like like City of Amsterdam, Sand Dunes, Reel warriors inspired from navy, hello fall etc.
- Organized Visit to Big Bazaar, paras Downtown Mall, Zirakpur on 9th February 2018 for B.Voc 1st year students. They were given input on visual merchandising by the Floor manager.
- Talk By Alumni on Fashion Styling on 25th January 2018, by Sugandha Sood, Fashion Stylist for celebrities, Mumbai .
- Visit to National Craft Mela at Kala Gram, Chandigarh on 11th November 2017 by B.voc students with all the faculty members of the department. The theme of the craft mela this year was ‘Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- An educational tour was organised to Udaipur -Chittorgarh from 5th October,2017 to 9th October,2017. The group of 39 students along with faculty members Ms Sumita Sikka, Ms Alpa Sharma, Ms Manpreet Kaur, Ms Jatinder Kaur embarked the journey.
- Conducted four days workshop in November 2017 on creating products with textile waste using twinning, braiding and patch work techniques. Sumita Sikka, HOD Fashion Design Department and Santosh Kumari from Pidilite Industries Pvt. Ltd were resource person for the workshop.
- Visit to National craft mela at Kala Gram, Chandigarh is organized every year for the students.
- An exhibition “Traditions” was presented in January 2016 by B.Voc students showcasing their skill in fashion designing and craft work.
- Visit to National craft mela at Kala Gram, Chandigarh is organized every year for the students.
- An industrial visit to Panipat was organised for B.Voc students where they explored Weavers Service Centre and Durries Weaving Industry.
- Visit to ‘Silk Expo’ at Kisan Bhawan, Chandigarh was organized for B.Voc students.
- Annual Exhibition “Traditions” presented Final year students Design Collection under theme “Taraashanaa”- on 5th March 2016.
- Visit to h National craft mela at Kala Gram, Chandigarh is organized every year for the students.
- Annual Exhibition “Traditions” presented Final year students Design Collection under theme “Taraashanaa”- on 25th February 2015.
- Three days workshop on “Fabric painting” was conducted from April 2015
- In order to give practical hand and get an insight into the practical aspects of textile and Fashion, industrial visits to Nahar fabrics, Lalru, Punjab is organized every year.
- Students of department get training to participate in “Heritage items” of Youth Festival annually.