Department of Physics
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- Department of Physics is one of the four basic science departments which constituted the Faculty of Science since its inception in the college in 1979. The Department commenced with running the Prep and Pre-Engineering/Medical classes in 1979. The undergraduate classes started in 1984.
- We were granted with the post graduate course – M.Sc. Physics in the year 2013.
- The Department of Physics was awarded a RESEARCH CENTRE, by Panjab University in 2017 for conducting Ph.D. programme in Physics.
||Mode of admission
||M. Sc. with Physics,UGC/NET or PU Ph.D. test qualified
||Based on Merit
||2 year(semester system)
||Bachelor’s degree (under the 10+2+3 pattern of Education) with 50% marks (45% marks in case of SC/ST) of P.U. or any other exam. recognized as equivalent thereto with Physics and Mathematics as elective subjects and Admission based on P.U.CET- (PG) conducted by P.U
||Based on Merit of B.Sc. and P.U.CET- (PG) conducted by Panjab University.
|B.Sc. (Non Medical)
||3 years (Semester System)
||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics
||Based on merit of PCM
Ϯ Research guides approved by Panjab University, Chandigarh.
|Name & Email
||No. of Publications with ISSN number
||No. of Books with ISBN number
Orientation courses /FDP attended
||Area of Specialization
|Dr. Shikha Gupta
||Experimental Solid State Physics
|Dr. Neelu Mahajan
||Experimenta l Solid State Physics
|Dr. Neelu Mahajan
||04 (Book Chapters)
||Theoretical High Energy Physics
|Dr. Sanjeev Kumar
||04 (Book Chapters)
||Experimental Radiation Physics, Medical Physics and Material Science
|Dr. Kriti Sharma
|Dr. Samandeep Sharma*
||05 (Book Chapters)
||Theoretical High Energy Physics
|Dr. Amit Goyal
||Theoretical Physics and Nonlinear Optics
|Dr. Vikram Sagar
||Plasma Physics / Complex Networks
|Dr. Ashwani Kumar Chauhan
||Nano Science & Nanotechnology
|Dr. Seema Gautam
||Computatio nal Physics (NanoPhysics)
|Dr. Sheenam Sachdeva
|Ms. Jyoti bala
||Nano Physics,Material Science
|Ms. Silky Mittal
||Solid State Physics
* Dr. Samandeep Sharma has been awarded Ph.D. Degree during her service in GGDSD College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh.
1.One student has been awarded PhD and one enrolled under guidance of Dr Shikha Gupta.
2.On student is enrolled in PhD under guidance of Dr. Neelu Mahajan & Dr. Samandeep Sharma.
3.Seven students has been awarded PhD and five enrolled under guidance of Dr Sanjeev Kumar.
4.One student has been awarded PhD and three students are enrolled under guidance of Dr.Kriti Sharma
5.Three students are enrolled in PhD under guidance of Dr.Amit Goyal.
||06.8.1979 to 31.01.1996
||Founder of Department of Physics
|Prof. S.C. Chawla
||01.10.1979 to 31.01.2004
||Co-founder of Department of Physics
|Dr. P.N. Pandit
||10.10.1984 to 30.09.2016
||Founder of the college IT Department
|Dr. M.L Verma
||23.10.1985 to 30.10.2018
In keeping with the growing stress on and financial infetus for research, the department is committed towards encouraging faculty and students for research projects (Major/Minor). The faculty members of the department have been sanctioned minor and major research projects from the agencies like UGC/DAE/DBT/DST etc. The faculty is regularly attending Seminars and Conferences at the International/ National level.
List of Ongoing/Completed Research Projects
|Name of the PI/ Co-I
||Title of the Project
|Dr. Kriti Sharma
||INVESTIGATION OF THE PROPERTIES OF 2-D MATERIALS FOR THE DEVICE FABRICATION AND ITS BIOSENSING APPLICATION
||03 years (2018-2021)
|Dr. Amit Goyal
||Nonlinear excitations in PT-symmetric optical waveguides: Modulational instability, solitons and rogue waves
|Dr. Sanjeev KumarCo-I
||Investigation of uranium mobilization from subsurface sediments by effect of bicarbonate and other ions in groundwater of Malwa Region of Punjab state in India
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL GRANT TO FACULTY
- Dr. Amit Goyal received travel grant from International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) to deliver an invited talk in a conference at Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University, Armenia in September 2014.
- Dr. Samandeep Sharma received travel grant from International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) for participation at ‘Summer School on Particle Physics’ held at ICTP, Trieste, Italy from 15 th – 26 th June, 2015.
- Dr. Amit Goyal received travel grant from International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) for poster participation at School on Hands-On Research in Complex Systems held at ICTP, Trieste, Italy from 28 th June – 11 th July, 2015.
The department has impressive class rooms and well equipped spacious laboratories.
- Number of Labs: 06
- Dark Room: 01
- Research Lab:01
- Seminar room -01
- Store room -01
- Faculty room -01
- Computer Lab -01
- Computers – 18 (Pentium i5, Pentium i7)
- Scanners – 01
- Function Generator
- Multimeter (Rish Max 12/15s)
- Magnetic Susceptibility Apparatus
- Four Probe Set up
- Diode Clipping Circuit
- Planck’s constant Apparatus
- Analogue Trainer
- Dielectric Constant Kit
- Quartz/Calcite/Glass/Hollow Prism
- Millikan’s Oil Drop Experiment
- Viscosity Apparatus.
- Thermo E M F Apparatus
- Interferometer for measurements on Ultrasonic
- Digital Storage Oscilloscope-60 MHz
- Astable Multivibrator
- Amplitude & Frequency Modulation
- Voltage Doubler & Tripler Circuit
- Trainer circuits: Diode, Transistor, Rectifier
- Active Filter,Voltage regulator, Clipper-Clamper
- Printers – 06
- Colored Printer -01
- C.R.O (Scientech 20 MHz)
- Hall Effect Apparatus
- G M Counter Complete
- Photocell (Planks Constant)
- Experimental Modules (IndoSaw Sk023&Sk031)
- B-H Curve Apparatus
- He-Ne Laser Kit
- Miscellaneous Electrical Circuit
Boards (Including Flip-Flops,
Shift Registers, Op- Amps Etc.)
- Bi-Prism Assembly
- Newton’s Ring Apparatus with
- Optical Fiber Kit
- Stephen’s Constant
- Smart Class Room Kit
- Electron-spin Resonance spectrometer
- Function Generator-01 MHz or higher
- Digital LCR meter
- Superhetrodyne Receiverr
- Oscillators-Colpits,Wein- Bridge and Hartley
- Operational Amplifier
- Characteristic Study Apparatus: Phototransistor, Thermister, BJT, FET, Diode, Voltage Regulator
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
We encourage our students to express, organize and implement their ideas individually as well as collectively through various activities undertaken under the aegis of the Physics Club ‘BOSONS’.
- “BOSONS-The Physics Club” of Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College celebrated the birth centenary of the father of “Indian Space Research Vikram Sarabhai” under the aegis of DBT Star College scheme on 05th June, 2020. The celebration included organizing online Poster Making Competition “Life during COVID: Perspective of Students and Physics Quiz events. Both the events had an overwhelming response. There was a National level participation from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Jaipur, Delhi, Indore, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Chandigarh etc wherein 311 and 74 entries from undergraduate and postgraduate students were received for Quiz and Poster making competition respectively.
- ‘BOSONS-The Physics Club’ of Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College Chandigarh under aegis of DBT Star College scheme organized online National Level Physics Quiz on December 17, 2020. The event had an overwhelming response. There was a National level participation wherein 260 undergraduate and postgraduate students registered for the event.
- “BOSONS-The Physics Club” of Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College under the aegis of DBT Star College scheme organized National level online Poster Making Competition on 22 December 2020. The event had an overwhelming response. There was a National level participation wherein 74 entries from undergraduate and postgraduate students were received for Poster making competition.
Ist Position–Ms. S. Kowsika from Chevalier T Thomas Elizabeth college for women, Chennai
2nd Position- Ms. Rushali Walia from GGDSD College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh
3rd Position- Ms. Reetu Dhiman from Guru Gobind Singh College for Women, Sector 26, Chandigarh
- Webinar was organized by Dept. of Physics, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sec 32-C, Chandigarh on “Basics & Applications of X-ray spectrometer” by Prof. Devinder Mehta, Department of Physics, Centre of Advance Study in Physics, Panjab University Chandigarh on January 15, 2021. Around 250 graduate, post graduate students and faculty members from various institutions attended the webinar through google meet and live you tube streaming. He started the lecture by introducing X-rays, their discovery and their properties. He also discussed various scientists involved in discovery of X-rays. Further, he explained X-ray spectrometer; its types and applications of X-ray spectrometer to study the elemental mapping of samples. The lecture was highly informative and interactive. Students were very enthusiastic and asked many queries. He also motivated the students to work hard and achieve more.
- Webinar was organized by Dept. of Physics, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sec 32-C, Chandigarh on “Physics Using Machine Learning” by Prof. Kushal K. Shah, Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science Professer at IISER Bhopal on January 16, 2021. Around 230 graduate, post graduate students and faculty members from various institutions attended the webinar through google meet and live you tube streaming. Head, Department of Physics, Dr. Shikha Gupta introduced the resource person and thanked him for sparing his time to interact with our students. Prof. Kushal K. Shah started the lecture by introducing discussing data driven physics. He also quoted that “Machine Learning is considered as fourth Paradigm of Science”. Further, he discussed in detail types of machine learning i.e. Supervised, Unsupervised and Reinforcement Learning. He also overviewed how to solve physics problems using artificial neural networks. Students found the lecture very much fascinating as it was a new field for them. Students asked many queries in the end.
- Online National Seminar on “Recent Advances in Physics” (RAP 2021)was organized by Department of Physics, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sec 32-C, Chandigarh, under the aegis of Star College Scheme, DBT (Government of India, New Delhi) on 23.1.2021. It was a congregation of more than 750academic-experts, undergraduate, postgraduate students and research scholars including research-experts from some of the most renowned institutes including University of Münster, Germany, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay and NIT Hamirpur. The participants attended the seminar through google meet and live you tube streaming. Dr. Balraj Thapar(Principal)extended a warm welcome to all the participants and resource persons.Dr. Shikha Gupta (HOD, Dept. of Physics) greeted all the participants and briefly introduced the department.
The first lecture began with Prof. Amita Das, IIT Delhi explaining the Plasma Science and its interdisciplinary reach.Also, she explained that how plasma theory facilitates other fields such as high energy physics and at last she winded up with the impacts of plasma theory on society and its benefits. In the next lecture, Dr. Nitin Kumar, IIT Bombay continued with explanation of controlling and tuning active material.He started with introduction of active and soft condensed matter of physics and introduced the students with his research field. Prof. Ravi Kumar, NIT Hamirpur emphasized on the p-type transparent conducting oxide materials. Dr. Ashish Arora, University of Münster, Germany threw light on the experiments on semiconductors using light and strong magnetic fields. In the end, Dr. Amit Goyal, organizing secretary proposed vote of thanks. The whole seminar was very interactive. The students asked many queries in all the lectures. It was a highly informative seminar which helped everyone imbibe knowledge about recent advances in Physics. All the participants were provided with e-certificates and the feedback was taken.
- BOSONS-The Physics Club of Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College organized “Counselling and Mentoring Session of final year postgraduate students” under the aegis of DBT Star College scheme on June 01, 2021, focused on various career prospects after M.Sc. Physics. 34 students & 8 faculty members have been participated
The counsellor Mr. Utkarsh Shashank, Research Scholar at Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan started his session by acquainting himself and his area of research. Getting into PhD program is a testing task specially if someone is planning for foreign universities but he walked through the whole process in a very engaging way. He gave many pointers like how to approach a professor and what to consider before applying etc. Beside this, he also asked students to introspect themselves so that they have a clear picture before entering into a PhD program.
The next counselor was Mrs. Ankita Taneja, Research Scholar at Department of Physics GGDSD College graced the occasion as she upskilled the students about ‘How to choose the options other than PhD’ according to their interests in India. She succeeded the event in highlighting a basis among the participants regarding many options like how to apply in technical jobs in institutes like BARC, ISRO, DRDO, about lab supervisors, how to become Subject Matter Experts in Byju’s, Vedantu and what to prepare to become scientific officer in Dept. of Atomic Energy. Final year students are always in a fix what to pursue after master’s degree so their guidance gave students different route ways for future.
- “BOSONS-The Physics Club” of Postgraduate Department of Physics, Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatam Dharma College under the aegis of DBT STAR College scheme organized National level online Poster Making Competition and Video Presentation to mark the World Environment Day on June 05, 2021. Themes for the competition were Bio Medical Waste & its Management and Environmental Impacts of Covid-19. The event had an overwhelming response from all across India with 67 entries (poster-48 entries and video-19 entries) from undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Poster Making Competition Results
Ist Position–Ms. Nandini from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatam Dharma College, Chandigarh
2nd Position- Ms. Monika from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatam Dharma College, Chandigarh
3rd Position- Mr.Divyank Oberoi from Tilak Raj Chadha Institute of Management and Technology Yamunanagar.
Video Presentation Results
Ist Position–Ms. Jagriti from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatam Dharma College, Chandigarh
2nd Position- Ms. Galilone Anandhi P from Chevalier T Thomas Elizabeth College, Chennai
3rd Position- Ms. Anusha Kataria from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatam Dharma College, Chandigarh.
- BOSONS-The Physics Club of Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College organized “Counselling and Mentoring Session of final year undergraduate students” under the aegis of DBT Star College scheme on June 12, 2021, focused on various career prospects after B.Sc. 59 students and 8 faculty members have participated.
The first mentor Mr. Sharanjeet Singh, Postgraduate Student at Department of Physics GGDSD College, Chandigarh gave his session on ‘What after BSc?’. Final year undergraduate students are usually confused whether to go further with science or switch their field. He categorized his talk in science and non-science fields and thoroughly explained each field with various options. He highlighted many exams like IIT JAM, JEST, GATE, TIFR and various other universities exams which are not just for MSc but PhD as well.
The second mentor Mr. Harman Singh, Postgraduate Student at Department of Physics GGDSD College, Chandigarh succeeded the event by giving details on the ‘Pathway to education abroad’. He described all the hurdles that come along while considering your education abroad. He elaborated each step by giving instructions, recommending exams to give and books and apps that will help in preparation. Not only he shared his views but also his personal experiences with students. Final year students are always in a fix what to pursue after under graduation so their guidance gave students different route ways for future.
- Educational Visit to Aryabhata Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Nainital – On 20th Feb, 2020 students of physics department, GGDSD college, visited Aryabhata Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) situated adjacent to the picturesque hill town of Nainital. It is one of the leading research Institutes which specializes in observational Astronomy & Astrophysics and Atmospheric Sciences. This visit was covered under the aegis ARIES Science Popularisation and Outreach Programme (ASPOP).Students get opportunity to observe terrestrial/celestial activity through one of the biggest telescopes. They were also introduced to different facilities such as Stratosphere and Troposphere Radar (STRADAR) and Baker-Nunn Schmidt telescope (BNST).Students were deeply passionate about learning astronomy and astrophysics and curious to view the celestial objects through the telescope. I am sure they will be motivated to pursue career/higher education in advanced areas of science as this visit will give them exposure and a chance to meet people working on actual problems. It has been a wonderful learning opportunity overall.
- Science Day Celebration – “BOSONS-The Physics Club” of Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College celebrated the “Science Day” under the aegis of DBT Star College scheme on 26th February, 2020. The celebration included organizing various events such as Physics Quiz, Academic presentations, Rangoli making, Poster Making and Just a minute related to Scientific theme. Students gave power point presentations on the topic, ‘Greatest Physicists and their Contributions’ and the poster making competition on ‘E- Waste’. Approximately 200 undergraduate and postgraduate students participated in the event. Dean Sciences, Dr. Sajeev Soni and Head of the Physics Department, Dr. Shikha Gupta congratulated the winners of the various events
- Science Day Celebration – Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh celebrated the “Science Day” on 16thFebruary 2019 under the aegis of “BOSONS-The Physics Club”. The celebration included various events such as Scientific Rangoli making, Poster making, Academic Presentations, Just a minute, Quizon Science based themes. Approximately 250 undergraduate and postgraduate students participated in the event.
- Invited/Extension lecture – Dr. Vijata Dani Chadha from Department of Physics, Panjab University visited our Physics Department on 27th March, 2019 and delivered a lecture on Nuclear Medicine. She has explained the scope of the subject and its importance in various fields like food industries, agriculture, medical purposes etc. She also explained ionizing radiation and its use in medicine to diagnose diseases
- Workshop – Workshop on Innovative ideas on Physics was organized by BOSONS Club, Department of Physics, GGDSD College, Sector 32, Chandigarh on 30th March 2019. Prof Marwaha was the key note speaker and discussed the experiments related to Pseudo forces
- Lab Visit – About 40 students visited Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh on 6th April, 2019. They went to cyclotron followed by EDXRF lab, thin film deposition and solid-state labs. The various experimental instruments were briefly explained by the Professors and research scholars.
- Lecture Series – Associate Prof. Sanjeev Kumar from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh delivered a lecture on “Various Techniques used in Material Characterization” on 22nd February, 2017. The speaker explained the basic principles of XRD, FESEM, TEM etc. in detail.
- Event at Dev Samaj College, Chandigarh – A team consisting of 9 students participated in the science event on ‘Recent Advancement in Sciences’ under the theme of popularisation of science held on 9th February, 2017 by Epsilon Club of Dev Samaj College for Women, Sector 45 B, Chandigarh
- Science Day Celebration – Postgraduate Department of Physics, GGDSD College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh celebrated the “Science Day” on 28th February, 2017 under the aegis of “BOSONS-The Physics Club”. The celebration included various events such as Rangoli making, Poster making, Just a minute, Picture perception for Science based themes. These events were judged by Dr. Sangeeta Pandit, Dr. Jasveen Dua, Dr. Akhlash Pratap Singh. Approximately 150 undergraduate and postgraduate students participated in the event.
- Prof. Vipin Bhatnagar, Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh presented an extension lecture on the topic “ HEP experiments: Brief Overview” on 6th September 2016.
- Dr. I.S. Sandhu from Chitkara University, Rajpura campus, delivered a talk on Nanomaterials, Nanotechnology & Application” on 21st September 2016.
- The 2 nd National Seminar on Recent Advances in Material Science (RAMS)-2016 was organized by Department of Physics, GGDSD College, Sector-32, Chandigarh.
- Dr. K. Ramamurthy from IIT Chennai delivered a lecture on “General Newtonian Physics with stress on gravity and planetary motion” on 10 November 2016.
- Prof. J.K. Goswami from UIET, Panjab University delivered a lecture on Nuclear Radiation and Nuclear Technology” on 22 October 2016.
- Students of our college presented their work, comprising 5 posters and 2 oral presentations in the 4 th IAPT National Student Symposium on Physics (NSSP2016) held at the Department of Physics, Panjab University during 04 th – 06 th November 2016.
- The students of M.Sc. (Physics) and B.Sc. (Non-Medical) have participated and presented their work in the 3rd IAPT National Student Symposium on Physics (NSSP 2015) held at the Department of Physics, Panjab University Chandigarh from 17th -19th September 2015.
- Inter class Quiz Competition was held on 13th February 2016.
- Academic presentations by student volunteers on 13th February 2016.
- Mr. Vikas Garg working with Renalyx health system as senior biochemical engineer delivered a lecture on ‘Instrumentations in Biomedical engineering’ on 18th August 2015.
- Dr. Sandeep Sahijpal, Professor, Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh delivered a lecture on “Understanding the origin of elements in periodic table” to B.Sc. and M.Sc. students at Department of Physics on 13th February 2016.
- Inter Class Quiz on General Physics as well as academic presentations by volunteers were held on 31st January, 2015.
- Educational tour to Pushpa Gujral Science City, Kapurthala was organised on 24th Jan, 2015.
- Visit to Cyclotron & EDXRF lab at Dept. of Physics, PU Chandigarh on 11th Feb, 2015.
- Dr. Gurpreet Singh (RA), Dept. of Material Science, Bresecia Univ., Italy presented a talk on ‘Basics of Material Science’ on 1st August 2014.
- Prof. Manjeet Kaur, Ex-Chairperson, Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh and President IAPT delivered a talk on ‘A World without Antimatter’ on 18th October 2014.
- Dr. Pramod Kumar, Post Doctoral Research Associate, IISER Mohali delivered a talk on ‘Delay-coupled Diode Lasers: Photonic test-bed to study and control of Coupled Oscillators Functionality’ on 18th November 2014.
- Prof. C.N. Kumar, Dept. of Physics, P.U. Chandigarh delivered a lecture on Perturbation Theory and Relativistic Quantum Physics on 7th February and 18th April 2015.
- Dr. Sunita Srivastva, Associate Professor, Department of Physics, P.U., Chandigarh delivered a lecture on ‘Runge-Kutta (RK) method and its implementation in Fortran’ on 11th February 2015.
- DBT Sponsored One Day ‘National Seminar on Recent Advances in Materials Science’ was organized on 21st February 2015.
- DBT Sponsored One Day ‘Workshop on Instrumentation’ was organized on 23rd February 2015.
- Prof. Manmohan Gupta, Professor of Physics, Panjab University and coordinator CRIKC presented a talk on ‘Physics; A Journey from Macro to the Microworld’ on 24th August 2013.
- Educational Excursion to CDPE, Rajasthan University, Jaipur on 20th February 2014.
- Science Day Celebration on 28th February 2014
- Interclass Quiz Competition was held on 8th February 2014.
- Academic presentations by student volunteers on different topics such as Number Systems, Introduction to Particle Physics, Space Exploration, Superconductors, Black Holes etc. in interclass level on 8th February 2014.
- Maintaining of Bulletin Board by students regularly
- One day Seminar on “Recent Advances in Material Science and Nanotechnology” was organized on 1st February 2014.
- Lecture on Quantum Physics by Prof. C.N. Kumar, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh was held on 23rd October, 2013.
- Lecture on Electronics by Prof. A.K. Jain, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh on 25th October 2013.
- Lecture on Computational Techniques by Dr. Sunita Srivastava, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh on 6th February 2014.
- Prof. Suman Beri, Dept. of Physics, P.U. Chandigarh delivered a talk on “A Step Towards Understanding Universe-LHC Experiment and Higgs Boson” on 21st February 2013.
- Prof. Keya Dharamvir, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh delivered an interactive talk on “A Wonder World of Nano Science” on 21st February 2013.
- An educational tour to DRDO TBRL Chandigarh at Ramgarh on 20th February 2013. 45 students along with few teachers visited that place.
- Maintaining Bulletin Board
- Minor Projects by Students on fabrication and study of some gates, measure and compare the conductivity of some bad conductors, study fringe shift and width changes and determine refractive index of various liquids by Newton’s Ring method, study Hall Effect etc.
- Educational Excursion to Science city, Kapurthala in February 2012.