Department of Physics
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- Department of Physics is one of the four basic science departments which constituted the Faculty of Science since its inception in the college in 1979. The Department commenced with running the Prep and Pre-Engineering/Medical classes in 1979. The undergraduate classes started in 1984.
- We were granted with the post graduate course – M.Sc. Physics in the year 2013.
|Courses Offered||Duration||Seats||Academic Qualification||Mode of admission|
|Ph.D||As per PU University Rule||Contact Department||As per PU University Guidelines||UGC/CSIR NET, GATE or National Level Entrance Test for Ph.D|
|M.Sc. (Physics)||2 year(semester system)||40*||Bachelor’s degree (under the 10+2+3 pattern of Education) with 50% marks (45% marks in case of SC/ST) of P.U. or any other exam. recognized as equivalent thereto with Physics and Maths as elective subjects and Admission based on P.U.CET- (PG) conducted by P.U||Based on Merit of B.Sc. and P.U.CET- (PG) conducted by Panjab University.|
|B.Sc. (Non Medical)||3 years (Semester System)||200||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics||Based on merit of PCM|
|Name & Email||No. of Publications with ISSN number||No. of Books with ISBN number||Oral/ poster present- ation||Conferences/ seminar attended||Workshop attended||Refresher/ Orientation courses /FDP attended||Area of Specialization|
|Dr. Shikha Gupta email@example.com||12||01 (Book Chapter)||14||15||06||1 OC 2 RC 2FDP||Material Science|
|Dr. Neelu Mahajan firstname.lastname@example.org||07||01 (Book Chapter)||12||16||4||1 OC 1 RC 1 FDP||Theoretical particle Physics|
|Dr. Sanjeev Kumar email@example.com||34||4 (Book Chapters)||58||28||2||1 OC 1RC 2 FDP||Experimental Radiation Physics, Medical Physics and Material Science|
|Dr. Kriti Sharma firstname.lastname@example.org||21||01 (Book Chapters)||18||19||03||1OC 2 RC 2 FDP||Material Science|
|Dr. Samandeep Sharma* email@example.com||20||02 (Book Chapters)||09||13||14||1OC 2FDP||Theoritical High Energy Physics|
|Dr. Amit Goyal firstname.lastname@example.org||24||01 (Book Chapters)||16||7||9||1FDP||Theoretical Physics and Nonlinear Optics|
|Dr. Dipak Garg email@example.com||7||–||8||5||1||1||Experimental Condensed Matter physics|
|Mr. Rajwinder Singh firstname.lastname@example.org||–||–||1||–||3||–||Micro Electronics & Photonics|
|Ms. Bhawna email@example.com||–||–||–||2||–||1FDP||—|
|Ms. Vishalli** firstname.lastname@example.org||7||01 (Book Chapter)||11||13||—||—||Experimental Solid State Physics|
|Ms. Ankita email@example.com–121–|
|Mr. Rohit firstname.lastname@example.org||–||–||–||–||–||–||–|
|Dr. R. Ridhi email@example.com||11||01 (Book Chapter)||11||14||1||–||Experimental Solid State Physics|
|Mr. Naveen*** firstname.lastname@example.org||3||–||3||2||2||3FDP||Electroceramics|
|Mr. Ashwani Kumar# email@example.com||01||–||06||08||–||3 OC 2FDP||Experimental Solid State Physics|
* Dr. Samandeep Sharma has been awarded Ph.D. Degree during her service in GGDSD College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh.
** Ms. Vishalli is pursuing her Ph.D. in Panjab University, Chandigarh.
*** Mr. Naveen is pursuing his Ph.D. in PEC University, Chandigarh.
# Mr. Ashwani Kumar is pursuing his Ph.D. in Panjab Technical University, Jalandhar.
In keeping with the growing stress on and financial infetus for research, the department is committed towards encouraging faculty and students for research projects (Major/Minor). The faculty members of the department have been sanctioned minor and major research projects from the agencies like UGC/DAE/DBT/DST etc. The faculty is regularly attending Seminars and Conferences at the International/ National level.
List of Ongoing/Completed Research Projects
|Name of the PI/ Co-I||Title of the Project||Duration||Funding Agency||Status|
|Dr. M.L Verma PI||Dielectric studies of chalcogenide glasses for electronic devices||03 years||9,61,800 /- UGC, New Delhi||Completed|
|Dr. M.L Verma PI||Characterization of Multi- component Semiconductors for electronic Devices||3 yrs.(2014 till date )||10,00,800/- UGC, New Delhi||Ongoing|
|Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Co-I||Investigation of uranium mobilization from subsurface sediments by effect of bicarbonate and other ions in groundwater of Malwa Region of Punjab state in India||03 years 2014-17||16 lakh UGC-DAE, Kolkata||Ongoing|
|Dr. Amit Goyal PI||Nonlinear excitations in PT-symmetric optical waveguides: Modulational instability, solitons and rogue waves||3 yrs. (2016-2019)||19.96 lakh SERB Grant||Ongoing|
|Dr. Kriti Sharma||Investigation of The Properties of 2-D Materials for The Device Fabrication and Its Biosensing Application||3 yrs. (2018-2021)||22 lakh SERB Grant||Ongoing|
HONORS & RECOGNITIONS
- Dr. Deepak Garg received the honor for presenting Ph.D. work in the House of Commons, UK Parliament in an event “SET for Britain 2012”.
- Dr. M.L. Verma was nominated for award of leading scientist of world award by International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England.
- Dr. M.L. Verma was nominated for award of top 100 educators 2011 award by International Biographical Centre Cambridge England.
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL GRANT TO FACULTY
- Dr. Amit Goyal received travel grant from International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) to deliver an invited talk in a conference at Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University, Armenia in September 2014.
- Dr. Samandeep Sharma received travel grant from International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) for participation at ‘Summer School on Particle Physics’ held at ICTP, Trieste, Italy from 15 th – 26 th June, 2015.
- Dr. Amit Goyal received travel grant from International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) for poster participation at School on Hands-On Research in Complex Systems held at ICTP, Trieste, Italy from 28 th June – 11 th July, 2015.
Infrastructure:Laboratory Resources: The department has impressive class rooms and well equipped spacious laboratories.
- Number of Labs: 06
- Mechanics & Electrical I
- Mechanics & Electrical II
- Optics & Electrical
- M.Sc. Lab
- Computer Lab
- Computers – 18 (Pentium i5, Pentium i7)
- Scanners – 01
- Function Generator
- Multimeter (Rish Max 12/15s)
- Magnetic Susceptibility Apparatus
- Four Probe Set up
- Diode Clipping Circuit Adiabatic Expansion
- Planck’s constant Apparatus
- Analogue Trainer
- Dielectric Constant Kit
- Quartz/Calcite/Glass/Hollow Prism Microscope
- Millikan’s Oil Drop Experiment
- Viscosity Apparatus.
- Thermo E M F Apparatus
- Interferometer for measurements on Ultrasonic
- Digital Storage Oscilloscope-60 MHz
- Astable Multivibrator
- Amplitude & Frequency Modulation
- Voltage Doubler & Tripler Circuit
- Trainer circuits: Diode, Transistor, Rectifier
- Active Filter,Voltage regulator, Clipper-Clamper
- Printers – 03
- Colored Printer -01
- C.R.O (Scientech 20 MHz)
- Hall Effect Apparatus
- G M Counter Complete
- Photocell (Planks Constant)
- Experimental Modules (IndoSaw Sk023&Sk031)
- B-H Curve Apparatus
- He-Ne Laser Kit
- Miscellaneous Electrical Circuit Boards (Including Flip-Flops, Shift Registers, Op- Amps Etc.)
- Bi-Prism Assembly
- Newton’s Ring Apparatus with
- Optical Fiber Kit
- Stephen’s Constant
- Smart Class Room Kit
- Electron-spin Resonance spectrometer
- Function Generator-01 MHz or higher
- Digital LCR meter
- Superhetrodyne Receiverr
- Oscillators-Colpits,Wein- Bridge and Hartley
- Operational Amplifier
- Characteristic Study Apparatus: Phototransistor, Thermister, BJT, FET, Diode, Voltage Regulator
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
We encourage our students to express, organize and implement their ideas individually as well as collectively through various activities undertaken under the aegis of the Physics Club ‘BOSONS’.
- Prof. Vipin Bhatnagar, Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh presented an extension lecture on the topic “ HEP experiments: Brief Overview” on 6th September 2016.
- Dr. I.S. Sandhu from Chitkara University, Rajpura campus, delivered a talk on Nanomaterials, Nanotechnology & Application” on 21st September 2016.
- The 2 nd National Seminar on Recent Advances in Material Science (RAMS)-2016 was organized by Department of Physics, GGDSD College, Sector-32, Chandigarh.
- Dr. K. Ramamurthy from IIT Chennai delivered a lecture on “General Newtonian Physics with stress on gravity and planetary motion” on 10 November 2016.
- Prof. J.K. Goswami from UIET, Panjab University delivered a lecture on Nuclear Radiation and Nuclear Technology” on 22 October 2016.
- Students of our college presented their work, comprising 5 posters and 2 oral presentations in the 4 th IAPT National Student Symposium on Physics (NSSP2016) held at the Department of Physics, Panjab University during 04 th – 06 th November 2016.
- The students of M.Sc. (Physics) and B.Sc. (Non-Medical) have participated and presented their work in the 3rd IAPT National Student Symposium on Physics (NSSP 2015) held at the Department of Physics, Panjab University Chandigarh from 17th -19th September 2015.
- Inter class Quiz Competition was held on 13th February 2016.
- Academic presentations by student volunteers on 13th February 2016.
- Mr. Vikas Garg working with Renalyx health system as senior biochemical engineer delivered a lecture on ‘Instrumentations in Biomedical engineering’ on 18th August 2015.
- Dr. Sandeep Sahijpal, Professor, Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh delivered a lecture on “Understanding the origin of elements in periodic table” to B.Sc. and M.Sc. students at Department of Physics on 13th February 2016.
- Inter Class Quiz on General Physics as well as academic presentations by volunteers were held on 31st January, 2015.
- Educational tour to Pushpa Gujral Science City, Kapurthala was organised on 24th Jan, 2015.
- Visit to Cyclotron & EDXRF lab at Dept. of Physics, PU Chandigarh on 11th Feb, 2015.
- Dr. Gurpreet Singh (RA), Dept. of Material Science, Bresecia Univ., Italy presented a talk on ‘Basics of Material Science’ on 1st August 2014.
- Prof. Manjeet Kaur, Ex-Chairperson, Department of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh and President IAPT delivered a talk on ‘A World without Antimatter’ on 18th October 2014.
- Dr. Pramod Kumar, Post Doctoral Research Associate, IISER Mohali delivered a talk on ‘Delay-coupled Diode Lasers: Photonic test-bed to study and control of Coupled Oscillators Functionality’ on 18th November 2014.
- Prof. C.N. Kumar, Dept. of Physics, P.U. Chandigarh delivered a lecture on Perturbation Theory and Relativistic Quantum Physics on 7th February and 18th April 2015.
- Dr. Sunita Srivastva, Associate Professor, Department of Physics, P.U., Chandigarh delivered a lecture on ‘Runge-Kutta (RK) method and its implementation in Fortran’ on 11th February 2015.
- DBT Sponsored One Day ‘National Seminar on Recent Advances in Materials Science’ was organized on 21st February 2015.
- DBT Sponsored One Day ‘Workshop on Instrumentation’ was organized on 23rd February 2015.
- Prof. Manmohan Gupta, Professor of Physics, Panjab University and coordinator CRIKC presented a talk on ‘Physics; A Journey from Macro to the Microworld’ on 24th August 2013.
- Educational Excursion to CDPE, Rajasthan University, Jaipur on 20th February 2014.
- Science Day Celebration on 28th February 2014
- Interclass Quiz Competition was held on 8th February 2014.
- Academic presentations by student volunteers on different topics such as Number Systems, Introduction to Particle Physics, Space Exploration, Superconductors, Black Holes etc. in interclass level on 8th February 2014.
- Maintaining of Bulletin Board by students regularly
- One day Seminar on “Recent Advances in Material Science and Nanotechnology” was organized on 1st February 2014.
- Lecture on Quantum Physics by Prof. C.N. Kumar, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh was held on 23rd October, 2013.
- Lecture on Electronics by Prof. A.K. Jain, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh on 25th October 2013.
- Lecture on Computational Techniques by Dr. Sunita Srivastava, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh on 6th February 2014.
- Prof. Suman Beri, Dept. of Physics, P.U. Chandigarh delivered a talk on “A Step Towards Understanding Universe-LHC Experiment and Higgs Boson” on 21st February 2013.
- Prof. Keya Dharamvir, Dept. of Physics, Panjab University, Chandigarh delivered an interactive talk on “A Wonder World of Nano Science” on 21st February 2013.
- An educational tour to DRDO TBRL Chandigarh at Ramgarh on 20th February 2013. 45 students along with few teachers visited that place.
- Maintaining Bulletin Board
- Minor Projects by Students on fabrication and study of some gates, measure and compare the conductivity of some bad conductors, study fringe shift and width changes and determine refractive index of various liquids by Newton’s Ring method, study Hall Effect etc.
- Educational Excursion to Science city, Kapurthala in February 2012.